Remote desktop connection. An internal error has occurred.

Anonymous
2014-02-25T17:53:26+00:00

Hello,

The error occurs on a Windows 7 Home computer.

I connect successfully through a Sonic Wall VPN client.

I can ping the IP address of the remote computer.

I run remote desktop (using IP address of the remote computer) and get error:

"Remote desktop connection.  An internal error has occurred."

It used to work flawlessly and all of a sudden quit working.

Please advise.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-07-28T19:05:56+00:00

To resolve this issue, I performed the following actions:

Open RDP

Enter the IP address of the remote computer

Click Show Options

Click Experience

Uncheck Reconnect if the connection is dropped

Click Connect

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-02-27T12:26:19+00:00

Please close the case.

I fixed it.

It was a VPN configuration problem on the Sonic Wall.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-12-21T19:03:17+00:00

    I fixed this problem by going into the Sonicwall and changing the following settings:

    Click VPN

    Click Settings

    Look under VPN Policies list for WAN

    Click Configure Icon out to right

    Click Client Tab

    Change 'Virtual Adapter Settings' from 'None' to 'DHCP Lease.'

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-12-22T01:42:26+00:00

    This makes no difference to my problem changing the Sonicwall settings.  I can VPN to my work network with either a wireless or wired connection to my home router but I cannot connect to my computer with remote access unless I am remotely connecting from a WIFI connection.  I have this problem from my home computer and network but my assistant also has the same problem connecting from her home using her laptop.  She has to use the wireless connection to connect from her home to her computer.  Perhaps there are different issues here causing problems connecting remotely but for us and for others that have posted the wired versus wireless connection of the remote computer makes a difference.  I did not have this problem since I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.  The same exact hardware worked before and still doesn't work with a wired connection.  Microsoft, if you are listening, you need to need to figure out what is causing this and fix it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-12-22T09:41:44+00:00

    Did you try the fix I posted or are you assuming it will not fix it?

    Also, do you have any hard codes IP information in your wired connection such as a DNS server?

    Type IPCONFIG /ALL from the command prompt with your VPN connected through wireless and post the results then do the same when you are connected with a wire.

    Are you trying to connect using the machine name or IP address?  Try the IP if you have not already.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments