Remote desktop connection. An internal error has occurred.

Anonymous
2014-02-25T17:53:26+00:00

Hello,

The error occurs on a Windows 7 Home computer.

I connect successfully through a Sonic Wall VPN client.

I can ping the IP address of the remote computer.

I run remote desktop (using IP address of the remote computer) and get error:

"Remote desktop connection.  An internal error has occurred."

It used to work flawlessly and all of a sudden quit working.

Please advise.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-07-28T19:05:56+00:00

To resolve this issue, I performed the following actions:

Open RDP

Enter the IP address of the remote computer

Click Show Options

Click Experience

Uncheck Reconnect if the connection is dropped

Click Connect

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-02-27T12:26:19+00:00

Please close the case.

I fixed it.

It was a VPN configuration problem on the Sonic Wall.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-02-26T07:43:45+00:00

    Hello Kenneth,

    Thank you for posting your question in Microsoft Community. We are glad to help you.

    Were any significant changes made to your computer prior to this issue?

    I would suggest you to follow the steps provided in the articles below and update us on the status of the issue.

    Connect to another computer using Remote Desktop Connection

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/connect-using-remote-desktop-connection#connect-using-remote-desktop-connection=windows-7

    Remote Desktop Connection: frequently asked questions

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/remote-desktop-connection-faq#1TC=windows-7

    For further information, you may refer to the following article.

    Troubleshooting General Remote Desktop Error Messages

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc780927(v=WS.10).aspx

    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-02-26T20:18:10+00:00

    Sorry,

    That did not fix my problem.

    Those were just general links about remote desktop that I read, but did not help.

    No significant changes were made to the computer prior to this issue.

    Please solve my specific problem:

    "Remote desktop connection.  An internal error has occurred."

    I also get error:

    "Remote desktop connection.  This computer can't connect to the remote computer."

    Please advise.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-02-27T07:48:02+00:00

    Hello Kenneth,

    Thank you for updating us with the status of the issue.

    I would suggest you to post your query in TechNet community. As, the issue you posted is more complex than what is answered in the Community forums and would be better suited in the TechNet community.

    Please visit the link below to find a community that will offer the best support.

    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=w7itpro

    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments