Remote desktop connection. An internal error has occurred.

Anonymous
2014-02-25T17:53:26+00:00

Hello,

The error occurs on a Windows 7 Home computer.

I connect successfully through a Sonic Wall VPN client.

I can ping the IP address of the remote computer.

I run remote desktop (using IP address of the remote computer) and get error:

"Remote desktop connection.  An internal error has occurred."

It used to work flawlessly and all of a sudden quit working.

Please advise.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-07-28T19:05:56+00:00

To resolve this issue, I performed the following actions:

Open RDP

Enter the IP address of the remote computer

Click Show Options

Click Experience

Uncheck Reconnect if the connection is dropped

Click Connect

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-02-27T12:26:19+00:00

Please close the case.

I fixed it.

It was a VPN configuration problem on the Sonic Wall.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-09-26T09:49:03+00:00

    My remote desktop was failing with internal error when connecting through wifi...

    To fix, ran from command line (admin) the following:

    netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Wi-Fi" mtu=1400 store=persistent

    That changed mtu from 1500 to 1400

    Thanks a bunch.

    The link above had this significant message:

    @htm11h Follow below steps... Verify the MTU size between source to destination using "ping -f -l 1500 192.168.1.1" If it says: C:\Users\sreekanth>ping -f -l 1500 192.168.1.1 Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 1500 bytes of data: Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set then lower the MTU value and test again until you see ping success. Change your Source server default MTU size to that value and that will fix. Example From CMD: Type netsh interface ipv4 show subinterface Type netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface “Local Area Connection” mtu=1400 store=persistent – chaladi Mar 26 '15 at 2:12

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-06-23T04:12:14+00:00

    I solved the problem by setting the RDP Display to True Color (24 bit) from Highest Quality.  Show Options>Display>Colors>True Color or even lower.  Conjecture: maybe an MTU issue?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-06-15T23:27:02+00:00

    I had the same problem but I found the following issues:

    1. The power AC supply was damaged (I replaced it)
    2. By the unexpected shutdown the OS went out of the domain (this was the reason because shown the error message at RDP)

    After bring the machine into the domain again, everything works ok!

    hopefully this could be useful for you.

    Best Regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments