Remote desktop connection. An internal error has occurred.

Anonymous
2014-02-25T17:53:26+00:00

Hello,

The error occurs on a Windows 7 Home computer.

I connect successfully through a Sonic Wall VPN client.

I can ping the IP address of the remote computer.

I run remote desktop (using IP address of the remote computer) and get error:

"Remote desktop connection.  An internal error has occurred."

It used to work flawlessly and all of a sudden quit working.

Please advise.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-07-28T19:05:56+00:00

To resolve this issue, I performed the following actions:

Open RDP

Enter the IP address of the remote computer

Click Show Options

Click Experience

Uncheck Reconnect if the connection is dropped

Click Connect

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-02-27T12:26:19+00:00

Please close the case.

I fixed it.

It was a VPN configuration problem on the Sonic Wall.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-08-20T05:12:20+00:00

    I don't have a client tab.  :-(

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-07-22T14:10:44+00:00

    I had a similar issue - running a TZ170.  The fix was to remove the current dhcp lease in the sonicwall.

    VPN > DCHP over VPN > delete the existing DHCP lease

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-07-17T12:54:08+00:00

    I'm having a similar issue. What was the resolution?

    Here too!! What was the solution?

    Just to maybe help someone who's running into a similar issue.

    I had a w8.1 system that was exhibiting the same behavior . My VPN to a sonicwall was connecting and I could ping every other device on the connected network with the W8 system , I could even tracert and telnet to various ports on the connected systems networks. However as soon as I tried to use any network based program in explorer to connect to any server on the office network I got timeouts and the dreaded ox80004005 error (basically windows saying it didn't know WTF happened). Also RDP was giving me the same error as the OP mentions. I was using the sonicwall Global VPN client.  I fixed it by changing 1 setting on my sonicwall in the global VPN client configuration.

    On the client tab in the Global VPN configuration under "CLient Connections" setting change from "none" to DHCP Lease.

    Once I made that change and re-connected the VPN it all started working again.

    Kudos to the OP for pointing me in the direction of the sonicwall, boo's to the OP for not being a good netizen and following up with a full explanation of the changes he made to fix the issue after posting the question.

    Mr Johnathan Bravo

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments