Remote desktop connection. An internal error has occurred.

Anonymous
2014-02-25T17:53:26+00:00

Hello,

The error occurs on a Windows 7 Home computer.

I connect successfully through a Sonic Wall VPN client.

I can ping the IP address of the remote computer.

I run remote desktop (using IP address of the remote computer) and get error:

"Remote desktop connection.  An internal error has occurred."

It used to work flawlessly and all of a sudden quit working.

Please advise.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-07-28T19:05:56+00:00

To resolve this issue, I performed the following actions:

Open RDP

Enter the IP address of the remote computer

Click Show Options

Click Experience

Uncheck Reconnect if the connection is dropped

Click Connect

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-02-27T12:26:19+00:00

Please close the case.

I fixed it.

It was a VPN configuration problem on the Sonic Wall.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-04-20T07:11:30+00:00

    Hi,

    I encountered the exact same problem on Windows 10 with SonicWall where the VPH client was failing first and once that was resolved, I was getting the "Remote desktop connection.  An internal error has occurred.". After trying several RDP software and combing through several forums, This is the solution that worked for me. Steps 1-3 are not related to the original post and if you are only getting the "Remote desktop connection.  An internal error has occurred." error then skip to Step 4

    1. Install GVC 4.9.4.
    2. Install GVC 4.7.3 (no error this time).
    3. Uninstall GVC 4.9.4 (because it doesn't work).
    4. Change GVC Configuration for Virtual Adapter Settings from None to DHCP Lease (https://support.software.dell.com/kb/sw7507) for instructions

    Thanks,

    Gouri Shankar Aechoor

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-04-06T03:35:26+00:00

    Hello Richard,

    Thank you for your input.

    I hope that your suggestions may help other community members to resolve similar issues.

    I appreciate it.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-04-05T16:12:24+00:00

    I fixed this problem by going into the Sonicwall and changing the following settings:

    Click VPN

    Click Settings

    Look under VPN Policies list for WAN

    Click Configure Icon out to right

    Click Client Tab

    Change 'Virtual Adapter Settings' from 'None' to 'DHCP Lease.'

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments