Remote desktop connection. An internal error has occurred.

Anonymous
2014-02-25T17:53:26+00:00

Hello,

The error occurs on a Windows 7 Home computer.

I connect successfully through a Sonic Wall VPN client.

I can ping the IP address of the remote computer.

I run remote desktop (using IP address of the remote computer) and get error:

"Remote desktop connection.  An internal error has occurred."

It used to work flawlessly and all of a sudden quit working.

Please advise.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-07-28T19:05:56+00:00

To resolve this issue, I performed the following actions:

Open RDP

Enter the IP address of the remote computer

Click Show Options

Click Experience

Uncheck Reconnect if the connection is dropped

Click Connect

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-02-27T12:26:19+00:00

Please close the case.

I fixed it.

It was a VPN configuration problem on the Sonic Wall.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-05T01:16:30+00:00

    That is the problem I've had ever since I upgraded to Windows 10.  I can establish VPN just fine no matter wether it is a wired Ethernet connection or wireless.  However, if it is wired, I absolutely cannot remote into my desktop at work.  It doesn't matter if I use my desktop computer at home or my lapton.  My assistant was having the exact same problem remoting from home.  As soon as she switched to a wireless connection to her router at home she was able to remote to her destop at work.  

    Different hardware, different locations, same problem.  I've spent coutless hours trying different settings with my network interface with no luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-05T00:23:27+00:00

    Ethernet does not work at all, no matter what adapter you have in the computer or try to use?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-12-05T00:16:54+00:00

    I can't connect using any form of Ethernet from this machine.  I've tried a USB NIC, as well as the onboard NIC on the motherboard.  I've reinstalled windwos from scratch, used the latest recommended drivers.. still no luck.

    I have fiddled and diddled every available setting in Remote Desktop Connection.

    Still no luck.

    I can, however, use wifi to connect.

    If I use a different PC, I am able to connect.

    Please, tell me where in the settings, deep in the bowels of windows, that the defaults fail to work.  What do I need to do.. to connect using a wired connection?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments