Windows 8.1 - Legacy Firewire Drivers

Anonymous
2013-11-11T17:52:41+00:00

Hello,

I need to use the legacy firewire drivers for my system.

Windows 8 does not have this driver anymore and it does not allow the installation of the driver files from a Windows 7 system due to driver signing.

The only way to get the driver to install is by enabling test mode and disabling something else. This results in a screen watermark.

Can Microsoft please provide a signed version of the Legacy driver? It would cure headaches for a big chunck of audio engineers who choose to use Windows.

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-09-10T23:14:50+00:00

Hi,

We have made the legacy 1394 driver available to download for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 today. Please see the blog below and instruction on download/manual installation.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2014/09/10/announcing-the-availability-of-a-standalone-legacy-1394-ohci-firewire-package.aspx

thank you,

Koichi Hirao [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-11-14T15:57:24+00:00

    My issue is mainly audio.  I can open up my audio software after boot, and I will get a nasty sounding audio between my audio device and the PC.   If I simply tweak the buffer settings one direction, and then back, I can usually make it work... but it cuts out every once in a while anyway.   It actually WORKs, compared to the original Windows 8 driver, but it's still not perfect.  Just wondering if anyone else that runs heavy audio loads/audio mixing/etc - if they were having any issues with this driver compared to pulling off the Win 7 legacy dll's ?   (quick addition - that I'm using 32 bit)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-11-15T15:36:57+00:00

    Hi,

    We have made the legacy 1394 driver available to download for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 today. Please see the blog below and instruction on download/manual installation.

    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2014/09/10/announcing-the-availability-of-a-standalone-legacy-1394-ohci-firewire-package.aspx

    thank you,

    Koichi Hirao [MSFT]

    I Used this update , but the Canon HV20 is not vissable in my video program magic 17. Wat can i do more??? Frans

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-11-17T15:12:55+00:00

    Update -  Was successful in installing the legacy driver.  However I experienced zero change in the quality of the audio that I'm working with via Firewire.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-11-17T15:20:53+00:00

    I have a home recording studio where I record, mix, master audio.  My firewire device is a Presonous Firepod - FP10 and my PC is Win 8.1.  

    When selecting the Firepod as the output audio device the audio sounds slightly scratchy and poppy every few bars.  This occurs no matter what playback software I'm using.  Even selecting the test option from "playback devices" produces the scratch/pop.  I have not experienced any improvement with the legacy driver.

    Have to either try Windows 7 or Mac.  Haven't had the issue with Win7 in the past.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments