Windows 8.1 - Legacy Firewire Drivers

Anonymous
2013-11-11T17:52:41+00:00

Hello,

I need to use the legacy firewire drivers for my system.

Windows 8 does not have this driver anymore and it does not allow the installation of the driver files from a Windows 7 system due to driver signing.

The only way to get the driver to install is by enabling test mode and disabling something else. This results in a screen watermark.

Can Microsoft please provide a signed version of the Legacy driver? It would cure headaches for a big chunck of audio engineers who choose to use Windows.

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-09-10T23:14:50+00:00

Hi,

We have made the legacy 1394 driver available to download for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 today. Please see the blog below and instruction on download/manual installation.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2014/09/10/announcing-the-availability-of-a-standalone-legacy-1394-ohci-firewire-package.aspx

thank you,

Koichi Hirao [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-11-03T21:30:40+00:00

    Hi Daniel,

    Are you able to locate "legacy1394.inf" from the either location path below?

    • C:\Program Files\1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)\x86_driver
    • C:\Program Files\1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)\x64_driver

    Can you specify which steps you are failing to execute? I want to understand whether this is MSI installation failture or device installation failure from INF file. See step by step from "Additional steps of configuration requirement" section in the KB articule.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2970191/en-us/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-11-06T17:33:12+00:00

    Hi,

    We have made the legacy 1394 driver available to download for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 today. Please see the blog below and instruction on download/manual installation.

    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2014/09/10/announcing-the-availability-of-a-standalone-legacy-1394-ohci-firewire-package.aspx

    thank you,

    Koichi Hirao [MSFT]

    Do many have experience with this driver yet?  I've installed it and it did indeed improve my issues - but it's still very 'quirky' and unreliable.  I have to 'fiddle' with buffer settings every time I boot up to make the dang thing work/sound right...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-11-06T20:52:15+00:00

    Hi,

    We have made the legacy 1394 driver available to download for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 today. Please see the blog below and instruction on download/manual installation.

    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2014/09/10/announcing-the-availability-of-a-standalone-legacy-1394-ohci-firewire-package.aspx

    thank you,

    Koichi Hirao [MSFT]

    Do many have experience with this driver yet?  I've installed it and it did indeed improve my issues - but it's still very 'quirky' and unreliable.  I have to 'fiddle' with buffer settings every time I boot up to make the dang thing work/sound right...

    FYI: My Windows 8 Pro did not have the Legacy 1394 driver and I could not capture DV via Firewire.

    When I upgraded to Windows 8.1 Pro from Win 8 Pro, I then saw the Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller and can now successfully capture DV via Firewire.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-11-14T15:30:50+00:00

    Hi,

    We have made the legacy 1394 driver available to download for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 today. Please see the blog below and instruction on download/manual installation.

    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2014/09/10/announcing-the-availability-of-a-standalone-legacy-1394-ohci-firewire-package.aspx

    thank you,

    Koichi Hirao [MSFT]

    I followed all the instructions in the above link, and the subsequent KB article.  The problem is that the download (x64) does not contain the specific files identified in the setup instructions.  First, after running the setup file the location of the distributed files is not where the instructions say they will be.  Second, the file that the instructions says to select from the Device Manager is not there.  The message from windows is that the driver files are up to date.  And yes I selected to option to choose the driver file from a location on my PC, and navigated to the location specified in the kb article instructions.  In fact once there I did not even have the option of selecting a specific file.  Only the folder containing the file.

    For me the issue is not with video transfer but rather audio.  I have a recording studio and am entertaining the idea of using PC instead of the typical mac.  The experiment will soon be over if I can't get the firewire driver issue fixed.  Audio plays but it is scratchy.  Obviously not acceptable.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments