Windows 8.1 - Legacy Firewire Drivers

Anonymous
2013-11-11T17:52:41+00:00

Hello,

I need to use the legacy firewire drivers for my system.

Windows 8 does not have this driver anymore and it does not allow the installation of the driver files from a Windows 7 system due to driver signing.

The only way to get the driver to install is by enabling test mode and disabling something else. This results in a screen watermark.

Can Microsoft please provide a signed version of the Legacy driver? It would cure headaches for a big chunck of audio engineers who choose to use Windows.

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-09-10T23:14:50+00:00

Hi,

We have made the legacy 1394 driver available to download for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 today. Please see the blog below and instruction on download/manual installation.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2014/09/10/announcing-the-availability-of-a-standalone-legacy-1394-ohci-firewire-package.aspx

thank you,

Koichi Hirao [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-02-06T21:30:21+00:00

    Windows 8 did not support Firewire, so I was unable to capture video from my Mini-DV camcorder to my PC like I could in Windows 7.

    I recently upgraded to Windows 8.1.

    Now I see my "Texas Intsruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller" in my Device Manager list. I can now capture video using my Firewire capture card in Premier Pro. So far so good.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-02-06T21:55:03+00:00

    Windows 8 does support firewire. You had a separate issue to the one this topic has been created for.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-02-07T13:09:19+00:00

    Windows 8 does support firewire. You had a separate issue to the one this topic has been created for.

    FYI: Windows 8 never supported Firewire.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-02-13T09:46:20+00:00

    Windows 8 did not support Firewire, so I was unable to capture video from my Mini-DV camcorder to my PC like I could in Windows 7.

    I recently upgraded to Windows 8.1.

    Now I see my "Texas Intsruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller" in my Device Manager list. I can now capture video using my Firewire capture card in Premier Pro. So far so good.

    I have Windows 8.1 64 bit. My Firewire Card with TI Chip does not work (the Camcorder is recognized, but no video is transfered). Are you using 32 bit or 64 bit Win 8.1?

    Björn

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments