Windows 8.1 - Legacy Firewire Drivers

Anonymous
2013-11-11T17:52:41+00:00

Hello,

I need to use the legacy firewire drivers for my system.

Windows 8 does not have this driver anymore and it does not allow the installation of the driver files from a Windows 7 system due to driver signing.

The only way to get the driver to install is by enabling test mode and disabling something else. This results in a screen watermark.

Can Microsoft please provide a signed version of the Legacy driver? It would cure headaches for a big chunck of audio engineers who choose to use Windows.

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-09-10T23:14:50+00:00

Hi,

We have made the legacy 1394 driver available to download for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 today. Please see the blog below and instruction on download/manual installation.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2014/09/10/announcing-the-availability-of-a-standalone-legacy-1394-ohci-firewire-package.aspx

thank you,

Koichi Hirao [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-07-22T03:01:32+00:00

    Hi,

    We have made the legacy 1394 driver available to download for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 today. Please see the blog below and instruction on download/manual installation.

    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2014/09/10/announcing-the-availability-of-a-standalone-legacy-1394-ohci-firewire-package.aspx

    thank you,

    Koichi Hirao [MSFT]

    I am another one of the people that runs the msi installer only to have it run momentarily with no effect.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-07-22T04:45:00+00:00

    OK for those of you who are having trouble with the installer and can not run the KB2970191 download...

    1. First extract the files from the 1394_OHCI_LegacyDriver msi installer package. (I used 7-zip but I am guessing most any unzipping app will work)
    2. Throw out all the ones with a "2" suffix in the title. (The files with "1" worked for me so I didn't need the ones with 2 suffix.  You may want to try throwing out the "1" files and using the "2" files if this doesn't work well for you ).

    So trash these:

    _1394bus2.sys

    _legacy13942.inf

    _Legacy13942.cat

    _ohci13942.sys

    1. Rename each of the remaining four files by removing the "_" prefix and the "1" suffix.

    so

    _1394bus1.sys becomes 1394bus.sys

    _legacy13941.cat becomes legacy1394.cat

    _Legacy13942.inf becomes Legacy1394.inf

    _ohci13941.sys becomes ohci1394.sys

    1. Double click on the legacy1394.cat file (the catalog file)

    View Signature

    View Certificate

    Install Certificate

    Choose between “Current User” and “Local Machine”

    Choose “Automatically select the certificate store, or you can store based…”

    Press “Finished”

    1. Right-click the Legacy1394.inf file

    Select install

    Hope I wrote this up clearly and accurately. My brain is fried after working on this for hours. Hope it works for you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-02-26T21:47:32+00:00

    Hi,

    I have tried to have my device use this driver by using the manual driver update in device manager . However whenever I come to the end of the steps I receive the message Windows has determined that the device has the most up to date driver. This is not the legacy driver and I cannot get round this issue.

    How can I have Windows 10 not automatically determine the driver for me and so allow me to install the legacy driver?

    Best rgds

    Grant

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments