Windows 8.1 - Legacy Firewire Drivers

Anonymous
2013-11-11T17:52:41+00:00

Hello,

I need to use the legacy firewire drivers for my system.

Windows 8 does not have this driver anymore and it does not allow the installation of the driver files from a Windows 7 system due to driver signing.

The only way to get the driver to install is by enabling test mode and disabling something else. This results in a screen watermark.

Can Microsoft please provide a signed version of the Legacy driver? It would cure headaches for a big chunck of audio engineers who choose to use Windows.

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-09-10T23:14:50+00:00

Hi,

We have made the legacy 1394 driver available to download for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 today. Please see the blog below and instruction on download/manual installation.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2014/09/10/announcing-the-availability-of-a-standalone-legacy-1394-ohci-firewire-package.aspx

thank you,

Koichi Hirao [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2014-04-14T02:13:00+00:00

    To make Firewire capture HDV using Windows Movie Maker, I believe I need the following drivers to make the HDV perform.  How do I download them?  The drivers must be "signed" because I cannot copy them from my old Vista computer, (the HDV works OK on Vista machine). 

    \inf\1394.inf

    \inf\1394.pnf

    \drivers\1394bus.sys

    \drivers\1394ohci.sys

    \drivers\ohci1394.sys

    I have been told from the Hardware Mfg. (Sony video camera) and the Video Editing Software Mfg. (Video Studio Pro X6), that I need to get the older "Legacy" driver alternative from Windows 7 to put into Window 8.1, however, it must be "signed" and must be 64 bit.  Can you provide a link to download a "signed" Win 7 alternative "Legacy" Fire wire driver?

    Would these Hotfix downloads work? 

    KB-2589986

    KB-2261116

    These Hotfix are for Windows 7, but would they resolve the same Firewire 1394 problem in Windows 8.1??  They describe the same problem with HDV I am having in Windows 8.1.   I have two 1394 Firewire cards, one PCI and the other standard bus, and they both capture DV 720i but not HDV 1080i.  Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-02-24T19:18:52+00:00

    Hi Ganesh,

    It seems that RK738 is right.  The legacy Firewire driver was a built-in driver in Windows7, not an application.  As such, there seems to be no corresponding program to run in any compatibitity mode. We have important audio hardware that requires the legacy Firewire driver to run.  Could Microsoft either provide that support directly or, at minimum, provide a signed version of its own Windows7 legacy Firewire (1394ohci) driver?

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-02-23T14:27:13+00:00

    Yes, Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 is a native 64 bit application. Starting with CS5 Adobe has designed Premiere Pro (and some of their other programs) to only work on a 64 bit o.s.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments