Windows 8.1 - Legacy Firewire Drivers

Anonymous
2013-11-11T17:52:41+00:00

Hello,

I need to use the legacy firewire drivers for my system.

Windows 8 does not have this driver anymore and it does not allow the installation of the driver files from a Windows 7 system due to driver signing.

The only way to get the driver to install is by enabling test mode and disabling something else. This results in a screen watermark.

Can Microsoft please provide a signed version of the Legacy driver? It would cure headaches for a big chunck of audio engineers who choose to use Windows.

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-09-10T23:14:50+00:00

Hi,

We have made the legacy 1394 driver available to download for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 today. Please see the blog below and instruction on download/manual installation.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2014/09/10/announcing-the-availability-of-a-standalone-legacy-1394-ohci-firewire-package.aspx

thank you,

Koichi Hirao [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-05-08T07:08:46+00:00

    I have no problem opening an mp4-file from disc with the 64 bit VLC media player. This works fine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-05-07T17:22:46+00:00

    I don't think the problem comes from the controller chip (I have a TI chip also). It depends on the type of program that tries to communicate trough the Interface. If the program is a native 64 bit program it works. The problem is the connection to a 32 bit program. None of those works on a Windows 8.1 64 bit System.

    Apparently Microsoft is not looking into these threads. I have not seen any comment on this problem by Microsoft. Too bad for the reputation of Microsoft!

    Well, that does explain why my 32-bit Java based DVR software (SageTV) wouldn't work right. :(

    Though you would think then that simply opening an MPEG file inside Windows Explorer via 64-bit VLC wouldn't cause a disconnect to happen, but it does.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-05-07T16:53:15+00:00

    I don't think the problem comes from the controller chip (I have a TI chip also). It depends on the type of program that tries to communicate trough the Interface. If the program is a native 64 bit program it works. The problem is the connection to a 32 bit program. None of those works on a Windows 8.1 64 bit System.

    Apparently Microsoft is not looking into these threads. I have not seen any comment on this problem by Microsoft. Too bad for the reputation of Microsoft!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-05-07T15:57:06+00:00

    In a similar vein, 8.1 Update 1 seems to have made my old Iomega (now LenovoEMC) Firewire drive ill. After I installed Update 1, the drive started disconnecting and reconnecting from the I/O bus whenever I or a program accessed anything on it. The event log is strewn with drive errors.

    I've since switched over to the USB2 interface it has as using it on 1394 basically broke the DVR media software I was using that PC for. Too much of a coincidence to be anything but the update. :(

    I guess I'll have to look into getting a USB3 enclosure and rip out the drive from the Iomega housing.

    (BTW, my controller card is a Texas Instruments. The only 1394 adapter I could find on MS' 8.1 compatible list is a StarTech, which uses a Via chipset.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments