Windows 8.1 - Legacy Firewire Drivers

Anonymous
2013-11-11T17:52:41+00:00

Hello,

I need to use the legacy firewire drivers for my system.

Windows 8 does not have this driver anymore and it does not allow the installation of the driver files from a Windows 7 system due to driver signing.

The only way to get the driver to install is by enabling test mode and disabling something else. This results in a screen watermark.

Can Microsoft please provide a signed version of the Legacy driver? It would cure headaches for a big chunck of audio engineers who choose to use Windows.

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-09-10T23:14:50+00:00

Hi,

We have made the legacy 1394 driver available to download for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 today. Please see the blog below and instruction on download/manual installation.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2014/09/10/announcing-the-availability-of-a-standalone-legacy-1394-ohci-firewire-package.aspx

thank you,

Koichi Hirao [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-03-24T17:36:08+00:00

    Did you ever get the download from Microsoft to work? my laptap does not seem to like it!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-03-24T14:58:09+00:00

    Have just downloaded for 8.1 and not showing under device manager at all, any suggestions??

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-02-10T17:59:26+00:00

    In the same boat, download file, run, it goes away immediately, can't get the firewire legacy to show.  running 8.1 x64 and it has rendered my ability to record audio completely impotent.  Gonna go find a pirated windows xp and try to dual boot :-/ 8.1 was a terrible upgrade choice.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-02-05T13:48:18+00:00

    Hi,

    We have made the legacy 1394 driver available to download for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 today. Please see the blog below and instruction on download/manual installation.

    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2014/09/10/announcing-the-availability-of-a-standalone-legacy-1394-ohci-firewire-package.aspx

    thank you,

    Koichi Hirao [MSFT]

    I have a Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit system. I could not even get the installer to load, it just disappeared after I double-clicked on it. A check in device manager told me that I still have the old 2006 Microsoft 1394 driver installed and a file check does not reveal that the existence of any new .inf files from this installer.

    I am using a Firewire-based audio interface for my PC, and the results have been very sketchy since I upgraded to my new Windows 8.1 machine. I appreciate Microsoft's spirit, but why won't this file even open for me?

    Koichi Hirao,

    All steps made you asked. but still no connection with fire wire. (Legacy drivers installed and chozen the lagacy driver in Apparaten

    Frans Dieleman

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments