Windows 8.1 - Legacy Firewire Drivers

Anonymous
2013-11-11T17:52:41+00:00

Hello,

I need to use the legacy firewire drivers for my system.

Windows 8 does not have this driver anymore and it does not allow the installation of the driver files from a Windows 7 system due to driver signing.

The only way to get the driver to install is by enabling test mode and disabling something else. This results in a screen watermark.

Can Microsoft please provide a signed version of the Legacy driver? It would cure headaches for a big chunck of audio engineers who choose to use Windows.

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-09-10T23:14:50+00:00

Hi,

We have made the legacy 1394 driver available to download for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 today. Please see the blog below and instruction on download/manual installation.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2014/09/10/announcing-the-availability-of-a-standalone-legacy-1394-ohci-firewire-package.aspx

thank you,

Koichi Hirao [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-02-22T16:10:57+00:00

    Not sure what you mean by "The in Windows 8.1 included "tape Import" still does not work."

    In EdIUS 7 , If video capturing now works as you had mentioned, then I would assume you are able to see the video being captured. Anyway, check to make sure your EDIUS project is set for correct Format settings as outlined below and check for correct Device control settings.

    Also check this link for more support information:

    http://www.ediusworld.com/en/support/faq/cat120/cat10_582.html

    Hope this helps.

    Found this on their site. Worth checking out.

    For EDIUS:

    I want to capture video from HDV or DV tape, but the Capture button is grayed out. How do I enable the capture button?

    You will need to create a device preset for the interface and capture format in advance:

    *This example is for HDV/DV capture via a FireWire port.

    1. Choose [Settings] > [System Settings].

    2. System Settings will appear. Choose [Hardware] > [Device Preset] in the left-pane.

    3. Click [New] button in the right-pane.

    4. Configure the settings as below:

    Input H/W, Format Settings
    Preset Name DV NTSC HDV 1080i
    Interface Generic OHCI Generic HDV
    Video Format 720x480 59.94i 1440x1080 59.94i
    Codec - Grass Valley HQ
    Output H/W, Format Settings
    Interface Generic OHCI -
    Video Format [DV] 720x480 59.94i 4:3 <br><br>or <br><br>[DV] 720x480 59.94i 16:9 -

    5. Click [OK] button to close the wizard.

    6. After creating the preset, choose [Capture] > [Select Input Device].

    7. Choose created preset and then click [OK] button.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-02-20T08:51:49+00:00

    I just got an upgrade to my previous video editing Software (EDIUS Neo 3.5). The new one is Grasvalley EDIUS 7, which is a native 64 bit application. With that video capturing now works. The in Windows 8.1 included "tape Import" still does not work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-02-14T22:54:10+00:00

    I am using 64 bit Windows 8.1

    Check to make sure that your video capture software has correct settings for Device Control and set to appropriate NTSC or PAL setting.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-02-13T09:46:20+00:00

    Windows 8 did not support Firewire, so I was unable to capture video from my Mini-DV camcorder to my PC like I could in Windows 7.

    I recently upgraded to Windows 8.1.

    Now I see my "Texas Intsruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller" in my Device Manager list. I can now capture video using my Firewire capture card in Premier Pro. So far so good.

    I have Windows 8.1 64 bit. My Firewire Card with TI Chip does not work (the Camcorder is recognized, but no video is transfered). Are you using 32 bit or 64 bit Win 8.1?

    Björn

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments