Windows 8.1 Feature Pack kb2932046 (part of kb2919355) won't install

Anonymous
2014-04-09T17:35:38+00:00

Tried downloading 8.1 update via Windows update on 8 March and kb2919355 failed to load citing corrupt or missing file. Went to Microsoft Download center and searched for kb2919355 which brought up several sub files. I was able to successfully download and install all but the kb2932046 . Any idea on how to get it to install?  I am on an original Windows 7 32 bit computer which has been upgraded to Windows 8 Pro with Media Center and then to Windows 8.1, all via download. I thus have no DVD, USB etc to do a refresh, which I don't wish to do anyway. I've already tried the Updater Tool Fix and the DISM procedures suggested by Windows Update with no luck. As far as I know, I've not moved any directories. Any help appreciated.  Thanks.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-05-10T20:26:30+00:00

    My method gave the order of the KBs numerically,        

    Understood.  That's DISM's Get-Packages doing that.  But I think that just restricting the numbers to KB293 may not give a clear picture of your maintenance history.   Has nothing really happened since the 9th of  April or are you completely disallowing automatic updates and know that only what you are showing me is relevant?

    This does not work for me in Command Prompt mode.

    Correct.  It's a Powershell "one-liner".  You need to get into Powershell first, then do what you tried in the cmd window or use the new command pipeline that I found.  Actually Mika had found it too.  I just hadn't noticed after being awed by his reformatting technique.  I'm guessing that other time and date formats will be sorted by Powershell (e.g. because they are "typed"* as date objects), if so you wouldn't need to reformat it to be sortable as text.

    * Typed -  Object-oriented programming term.

    HTH

    Robert


    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-05-10T19:11:26+00:00

    Robert,

    Thank you for your reply. When I looked at the link you suggested, I thought you were just interested in the order that I had installed the KBs and what I used to get that was most familiar to me. My method gave the order of the KBs numerically, not by time stamp because I am not familiar with the sort function. That's why I said it was necessary to look at the time stamp to get the proper order. I did not mean to give the impression that I didn't want to use your methods. I have never used Powershell, although I know it's on my system somewhere. This does not work for me in Command Prompt mode.

    Get-WindowsPackage -Online | ? { -not($_.PackageName -like "Microsoft-Windows-*") } | Select @{N="Package";E={$_.PackageName -replace "Package_for_" -replace "~.+$"}},ReleaseType,@{N="InstallTime";E={"{0:s}" -f $_.InstallTime}} | Sort InstallTime | Format-Table -AutoSize

    Sorry, but I guess I don't understand what you wanted me to do.

    Jim

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-05-10T16:39:02+00:00

    The following shows you my order of installation, if you look at the time stamp.


    The analysis is easier  if  you use a sortable date and time format (my solution) or  if  you use Powershell (Mika's solution, except that apparently Powershell's Get-HotFix only gets WMI QFE data which does not include an accurate timestamp?)

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-windows_update/windows-update-error-80244fff/16f1c7d7-f0e2-4e76-b656-c749287d9713?page=10

    C:\Windows\system32>dism /online /get-packages /format:table | findstr KB293

    So now you don't care about KB291 and friends?

    Here.  I found a better way to get these listed (in Powershell):

    PS C:> Get-WindowsPackage -Online | Sort-Object InstallTime | Format-Table InstallTime, PackageName -AutoSize

    You might have to install the DISM module in Powershell to do that.  I got it via Powershell's  ISE.  I will be interested in seeing what presentation Powershell gives you with its date and time when sorted.  It should be what you like which may be hard to discern as a sorted list but at least it will be sorted.   <eg>

    Here's how the InstallTime object is defined:

    InstallTime      Property   datetime InstallTime {get;set;}

    HTH

    Robert


    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-05-10T13:05:16+00:00

    Robert:  Additional Info.

    The following shows you my order of installation, if you look at the time stamp. All installations [except for 3809] were done manually. I remember trying the KB2932046 immediately after KB2919355 but it failed with the 80073712 error. Unfortunately, messing with the "Software Distribution" Folder as a possible solution also eliminated my history of what took place on the failed attempts. All other updates not associated with 9355 have come through WU and installed normally. I now believe the KB2919355 listed below is the *.msu file , notthe entire Update 1 package also labelled the same. Hope this helps.

    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]

    (c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

    C:\Windows\system32>dism /online /get-packages /format:table | findstr KB2919355

    Package_for_KB2919355~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.3.1.14

            | Installed | Update          | 4/9/2014 11:51 AM

    C:\Windows\system32>dism /online /get-packages /format:table | findstr KB293

    Package_for_KB2933809~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.3.1.3

            | Installed | Update          | 4/9/2014 12:36 PM                 [came through WU]

    Package_for_KB2934018~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.3.1.5

            | Installed | Feature Pack    | 4/9/2014 1:34 PM

    Package_for_KB2937592~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.3.1.0

            | Installed | Feature Pack    | 4/9/2014 1:45 PM

    Package_for_KB2938439~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.3.1.0

            | Installed | Feature Pack    | 4/9/2014 1:21 PM

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-04-21T17:15:35+00:00

    Still waiting for answer to my posted question. I ran

    C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /online /get-packages /format:table | findstr KB2919355

    Package_for_KB2919355~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.3.1.14

            | Installed | Update          | 4/9/2014 11:51 AM

    Questions:

    1. Does this mean the ENTIRE package KB2919355 [including all of the *.msu subfiles listed in the manual download site ] is installed?
    2. I still have Windows Update telling me that KB2919355 (25.4 MB) needs installed. That size file corresponds to the .msu subfile KB2932046 , which I have not been able to manually install, getting error 80073712. Is Windows Update reporting a false need to install? Is KB2932046 actually installed?
    3. Exactly what is the purpose of KB2932046 ? All of the new features of Windows 8.1 Update 1 seem to be working just fine on my system, so I do not wish to do a restore point or any other such “start overs” for fear that I’ll end up with the Update not loading at all this time. I like the new features!

    My system, again, is a Windows 7 upgraded to Windows 8 Pro with Media Center then to Windows 8.1. It’s a 32-bit system with no touch pen or touch screen.

    For the time being, I’ve just hidden the update. Three other small updates have since come through and installed just fine.

    I’m sure you are as frustrated as I and other posters are with this particular Update, but perhaps a daily report of some type of progress made would at least let us know you are working on it. [ 20 cases solved, 5 to go ]

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments