FYI, this is the exact same problem I helped with at this link:
http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/308666-kb2852386-windows-updates-cleanup-failing-after-reboot-4.html
I have copied my explanation and instructions on how to fix it below. For your further information... This is corruption that was likely caused by power-loss or crash during, or shortly after an update. There may be further corruptions.
I'd recommend running chkdsk /f c: and rebooting to allow it to run, and then downloading and running the system update readiness tool (checksur.exe
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D22AF4E2-1AAF-4672-8951-4B7920F982E9&displaylang=en). However, to solve this specific problem, you will have to follow the steps below (listed 1-14), checksur.exe will not help.
The uninstall is failing, because the driver bth.inf version 6.1.7601.17607 is not installed in the driver store. FYI., you can get further details of driver install/uninstall failures by looking at %windir%\inf\setupapi.dev.log. In
this case it looks like the "Winsxs store" and the "driver store" have gotten out of sync since the error is ERROR_NOT_FOUND when trying to uninstall bth.inf.
To verify, from an elevated cmd prompt run:
fsutil hardlink list %windir%\WinSxS\amd64_bth.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17607_none_d0789c5ad225ef11\bth.inf
It should list 2 directories that bth.inf is linked to like:
\windows\WinSxS\amd64_bth.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17607_none_d0789c5ad225ef11\bth.inf
\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository...<path to bth.inf>
I'm assuming it won't list the one under driverstore\filerepository, which will indicate that I'm right that the two stores are out of sync. Even if it lists both directories they are still likely out of sync and the following steps
will work to get around the problem.
- run cleanmgr.exe and let it "cleanup windows updates", but do not reboot
- run regedit.exe
- navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\DriverOperations
- There should be a sub-key named either "0" or "1". Expand that key
- Under that key, you will see one or more numbered keys. Look for the numbered key that contains a value named "Inf" which is equal to "bth.inf" (probably "1".). You need to delete this key, and in order to do that you will need
to give Administrators ownership of the key, and give Administrators delete access following these instructions:
- Right click that numbered key and select "permissions"
- Select the Owner tab
- Select Administrators in the “name” list
- Click OK
- Select Administrators in the “Group or User names” list
- Click on the Allow check box for Full Control
- Click OK
- Right click the numbered key again and select Delete
- Reboot the computer
Those steps prepare the “cleanup windows update” operation, but remove the step where it uninstalls bth.inf from the driverstore. Worst case is it leaves bth.inf and its associated files orphaned in the driver store, but that should
not cause any problems.
I appreciate the response. I ran "chkdsk c:" (from inside Windows), and it was clean. I therefore did not run it with an /f switch. "SFC /scannow" also had no errors.
The link you gave for "checksur.exe" is apparently invalid, as it redirects to the Windows "Downloads" home page. Do you have a KB number?
I ran "fsutil hardlink list %windir%\WinSxS\amd64_bth.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17607_none_d0789c5ad225ef11\bth.inf" and, indeed, the
second file reference (\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository...<path to bth.inf>) is missing.
I ran cleanmgr.exe, but did not reboot.
However, the instructions failed while in RegEdit, as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing has only one subfolder, "Version." There is no "DriverOperations." There is thus no key to delete.
Using a 3rd-party tool, RegScanner, I did a search for "DriverOperations", and found the key(s) you mention (and in the path you specify). I have uploaded a screenshot to SkyDrive. I cannot see them in RegEdit, however ... only with RegScanner. And RegScanner
won't let me delete them (clearly a "permissions" issue). But if I can't see the key in RegEdit, I can't change the permissions.
I exported the ComponentBasedServicing reg entry, and it fails to show the DriverOperations folder. (I uploaded the exported reg key to SkyDrive). My guess is that DriverOperations is therefore a virtual key of some sort (which RegScanner can see, but RegEdit
does not).
Your thoughts?