Wow! Thanks Shawn. I went to Control Panel and Systems & Security, and to Windows update, where it picked up my stalled update, and immediately installed the updates with a progress meter. I am going to use that every time, just to expedite the process, and make sure they get properly installed. Thank you for a great tip. Much appreciated.
WINDOWS UPDATE EXCESSIVE DATA USAGE IS INCONSIDERATE!!
I use a cellular connection to run my computer and have to pay for my data. Right now I have 5 GB of data a month and if I was to update my computer every time Windows wants to update it, I would run out of data even if I was not going to use my computer at all. I turned of automatic updates to control it , but it is very frustrating to do this. I have to take my laptop to the library in town just to do updates. I costs me $6.00 in gas just to go to town and back. I try not to go to town more than 2 times a month.
Why is it that Microsoft has no concern about the amount of data it requires to do updates. I chatted with some arrogant support person and he treated me like an idiot and said he was going to send me some trouble shooting that might help me. He never sent me anything and I know it is because if he sent the chat transcript, he would be fired when I reported him.
Right now it is requesting an update for .9 GB. The previous update was for 2.16 GB. It happens all the time.
I want to keep my computer up to date but Microsoft makes it very difficult to do so. There has to be a way to have updates that just change a small potion of a program with out consuming so much data.
GET IT TOGETHER MICROSOFT!!!!!
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
45 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2014-05-14T17:22:10+00:00 -
@CmdrKeene 90,631 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator2014-05-14T17:28:20+00:00 I wouldn't do that every time, because it should be fixed now. That little tool basically resets the entire update subsystem to clean out anything that got stuck. I don't think it would hurt to use it every time, but it would probably result in slower performance as the cache and updates have to be loaded again from scratch.
-
Anonymous
2014-05-14T19:36:32+00:00 Again, I'll take you advice, and thank you. Good information rhat is sometimes hard to come by.
-
Anonymous
2014-06-16T00:33:33+00:00 We also are concerned about this.
I guees we have to install on 'Important' and 'Recommeded' on our PC, but as you say, your data has gone and now you are left with a budget to work off for all the things you wanted your data for.
Not being computer savvy, or up with the jargen sometimes noted on the summaries when one reads about these updates - optional - it is agreeable that to use our own descretion regarding what to download or not instead of automatic updates is a bit frightening.
We only have 6GBs of data a month. This is a HP Pavilion 23 and when the technician came to set it up he did not do anything regarding updates. In fact, I had made the comment to the organisation before sending out technician to say that we only have 6GB and what sort of data would they be needing to set it up. Was told it will be alright. Well it was'nt because he did not do this part of the deal.
Updates from both Microsoft and HP came rolling in on the 29th and 30th May. Set up computer on 27th May. This took most of our remaining data.
It is getting to the stage, I feel, that I am asking 'the air'...."Do I really have to go onto Microsoft forums to find out if I need this optional update or not?"
Window update KB2962409 - optional - I have just installed. What was it really?
http://support.micro....com/kb/2962409 Issues that this update fixes
I installed this anyway, despite the fact that data is precious.
PeterARCZN - I think Microsoft is in with the 'coffee' compaines - or if you smoke, the 'cigarette' companies!! I see that 'being hooked', 'not being able to get away from your computer' is classified as a mental health 'disorder' or problematic internet use (PIU).
Recently I have noticed half my life has been spent on exactly what you are talking about, not to metion having to 'read up on' all the knowledge base so this computer can run safely.
'Oye Vey Shisk Kebab' is what I say when my mental state cannot express my absolute astonishment at the question....."HOW HARD SHOULD THIS BE?"
-
@CmdrKeene 90,631 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator2014-06-16T13:47:33+00:00