WINDOWS UPDATE EXCESSIVE DATA USAGE IS INCONSIDERATE!!

Anonymous
2014-04-09T14:31:19+00:00

I use a cellular connection to run my computer and have to pay for my data. Right now I have 5 GB of data a month and if I was to update my computer every time Windows wants to update it, I would run out of data even if I was not going to use my computer at all. I turned of automatic updates to control it , but it is very frustrating to do this. I have to take my laptop to the library in town just to do updates. I costs me $6.00 in gas just to go to town and back. I try not to go to town more than 2 times a month.

Why is it that Microsoft has no concern about the amount of data it requires to do updates. I chatted with some arrogant support person and he treated me like an idiot and said he was going to send me some trouble shooting that might help me. He never sent me anything and I know it is because if he sent the chat transcript, he would be fired when I reported him.

Right now it is requesting an update for .9 GB. The previous update was for 2.16 GB. It happens all the time.

I want to keep my computer up to date but Microsoft makes it very difficult to do so. There has to be a way to have updates that just change a small potion of a program with out consuming so much data.

GET IT TOGETHER MICROSOFT!!!!!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-06-24T05:39:47+00:00

    Thank you Shawn.

    I have put that info in the bookmarks, have not had time to completely view all the way but will look at it asap.

    many thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-06-17T00:29:08+00:00

    Since I had another machine to apply updates to, I took a screen shot showing the updates and their sizes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. @CmdrKeene 90,631 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2014-06-17T00:02:18+00:00

    Your picture does not show sizes.  Please avoid that behavior or we'll have to remove you from the forums.

    The numbers you see are the KB article numbers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-06-16T23:53:31+00:00

    These numbers that I sent you before for a portion of today's updates. Read the size of each update. I did an update on 5/28/2014 and it was the same way. You are starting to **** me off. Are you just being a smart ****? You obviously did not read the size of the updates.

    No where in your post is there any size information about the update.  The number shown, as I have said, are the Knowledge Base (KB) numbers not the size. 

    Your response is uncalled for.

    Circled numbers are not sizes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-06-16T22:56:47+00:00

    These numbers that I sent you before for a portion of today's updates. Read the size of each update. I did an update on 5/28/2014 and it was the same way. You are starting to **** me off. Are you just being a smart ****? You obviously did not read the size of the updates.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments