WINDOWS UPDATE EXCESSIVE DATA USAGE IS INCONSIDERATE!!

Anonymous
2014-04-09T14:31:19+00:00

I use a cellular connection to run my computer and have to pay for my data. Right now I have 5 GB of data a month and if I was to update my computer every time Windows wants to update it, I would run out of data even if I was not going to use my computer at all. I turned of automatic updates to control it , but it is very frustrating to do this. I have to take my laptop to the library in town just to do updates. I costs me $6.00 in gas just to go to town and back. I try not to go to town more than 2 times a month.

Why is it that Microsoft has no concern about the amount of data it requires to do updates. I chatted with some arrogant support person and he treated me like an idiot and said he was going to send me some trouble shooting that might help me. He never sent me anything and I know it is because if he sent the chat transcript, he would be fired when I reported him.

Right now it is requesting an update for .9 GB. The previous update was for 2.16 GB. It happens all the time.

I want to keep my computer up to date but Microsoft makes it very difficult to do so. There has to be a way to have updates that just change a small potion of a program with out consuming so much data.

GET IT TOGETHER MICROSOFT!!!!!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. @CmdrKeene 90,631 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2018-01-26T03:42:21+00:00

    There's lots of options to control the bandwidth used, or the time of day (because in some countries the price of internet data depends on the time or day of the week).  You can use those to limit (or completely block) updates. And your attorney will remind you that you don't own Windows, you license the rights to use it under specific conditions and terms, and one of those terms is you are required to update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-01-26T02:07:55+00:00

    I also am having a problem with this update. Yesterday I paid $50 dollars for 7 gigabytes. Today it's all gone because this update keeps failing and trying again! Wtf? I should send them a bill! I am definitely reporting this to my Attorney Generals office. This update is not something I asked for. It just took over my computer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments