How to fix a "X3DAudio1_7.dll is missing" error for DirectX11?

Anonymous
2014-02-16T03:17:57+00:00

I am currently running the 64 bit version of Windows 8 and I have attempted to install and play Skyrim on my computer. Whenever I try to launch Skyrim I get ad error message that says "X3DAudio.dll is missing from your computer. Reinstalling the program should fix this problem." I have uninstalled and reinstalled Skyrim 4 times in an attempt to fix the problem. I have also attempted to re install DirectX but it does not look like that is possible. I'm almost positive that this single error is the only thing keeping me from playing Skyrim. If someone could help me solve this issue I would be extremely grateful. Any suggestions?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-02-16T16:14:16+00:00

Hi,

If you experience issues in which an application fails because of the missing file X3DAUDIO1_7.DLL, you may be able to resolve the failure by running the DirectX run-time package.

I would suggest you to download the the Runtime Package and then installing it.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=8109

Also, you can diagnose basic problems with DirectX

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-8/diagnosing-problems-directx

Let us know if it helps. If the issue persists, we would be happy to help you further.

Was this answer helpful?

1000+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-09-15T14:58:59+00:00

    Hey there, 

    I'm getting a similar issue, except the missing DLL file is in the System32 directory. Different applications produce the same error with different missing dll files which are actually present.

    Furthermore, I cannot reinstall DirectX as everything is up to date.  Any thoughts on this?

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-09-15T20:21:55+00:00

    Hi,

    I don't know why that would be, but I can see what I can find...

    A couple of things though... I just realized that there are also files in the SysWOW64 folder for 64bit applications...

    You might try running the problem programs in Compatibility Mode and see if that helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-09-15T23:11:18+00:00

    I unpack this http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=8109 to a folder on my desktop and ran dxsetup. It finished normally yet I'm still unable to launch many games. The problem persist. Please help. This audio error is killing me!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-09-15T23:15:47+00:00

    If I can't fix this Ill just have to reformat my harddrive

    :/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments