How to fix a "X3DAudio1_7.dll is missing" error for DirectX11?

Anonymous
2014-02-16T03:17:57+00:00

I am currently running the 64 bit version of Windows 8 and I have attempted to install and play Skyrim on my computer. Whenever I try to launch Skyrim I get ad error message that says "X3DAudio.dll is missing from your computer. Reinstalling the program should fix this problem." I have uninstalled and reinstalled Skyrim 4 times in an attempt to fix the problem. I have also attempted to re install DirectX but it does not look like that is possible. I'm almost positive that this single error is the only thing keeping me from playing Skyrim. If someone could help me solve this issue I would be extremely grateful. Any suggestions?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-02-16T16:14:16+00:00

Hi,

If you experience issues in which an application fails because of the missing file X3DAUDIO1_7.DLL, you may be able to resolve the failure by running the DirectX run-time package.

I would suggest you to download the the Runtime Package and then installing it.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=8109

Also, you can diagnose basic problems with DirectX

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-8/diagnosing-problems-directx

Let us know if it helps. If the issue persists, we would be happy to help you further.

Was this answer helpful?

1000+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-12-17T19:17:36+00:00

    Hi,

    It may be that your game is looking for it in a different location...

    You might try to track that down and either copy the files to the location, or reinstall the Runtime to the needed location...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-12-17T16:43:19+00:00

    I've downloaded, installed, and the same message keeps popping up.  This is precisely why I'm a console gamer.  Consoles don't have these issues.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-07-25T22:40:39+00:00

    Hi,

    I'm not much of a Gamer, so I'm a bit limited on my knowledge of that...

    My knowledge is all from what I have picked up from other posts... Except for the DirectX Runtime... I have other stuff that requires it...

    I'm glad I was able to help you to find all of the hoops to jump through to resolve your problem though... Enjoy your Games !!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-07-25T21:57:28+00:00

    Hi,

    The file you are looking for is in the Feb2010_X3DAudio_x64 or x86folder...

    Being in the folder may not be enough... it is something that needs to be installed...

    I had to go to Safe Mode, so that Folder and File Permissions would not get in the way of DirectX installers... which was why it was failing in Windows 10.1  (As a side note, i also went to Properties on the System32 and SysWOW64 folders and set them and subfolders to not be Read-Only anymore). And then I ran the Installers for DirectX that came with Skyrim, as well as the 2010 Runtime. Since I was in Safe Mode, the installers did not fail, and i was able to install them into both System 32 AND SysWOW64. My Windows is 64 bit, but i wanted to make sure. Additionally, while i was at it, i installed it into the Skyrim directory. After that, the first run of Skyrim in Normal Mode wanted to install Directx, and succeeded, and then i was in. And now it doesn't try since it only loaded the installer on First Run.  Now Skyrim works, and it's great!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments