Scult ergonomic keyboard numberpad stopped responding

Anonymous
2014-01-20T12:29:32+00:00

Hi,

I have a new microsoft sculpt ergonomic keyboard. It comes with a separate number pad, which after working perfectly in the current set-up, suddenly ceased working. No input from the numberpad is received by the computer (numbers, num lock, calculator, delete etc).

I have a Dell U2312HM VGA screen with USB adaptors, which I have the keyboard and mouse USB receivers plugged into.

The USB ports work with other devices.

The keyboard itself still works, just not the numberpad.

The numberpad still doesn't work if I have the USB receiver plugged directly into the laptop.

The drivers are up to date (Apr 2013)

This set-up worked perfectly for the first month. Unfortunately I didn't notice exactly when the numberpad ceased working, so I don't know if something specific triggered it, but the set-up has not been changed in any obvious way.

Laptop: Acer Aspire 5742, Intel i3 CPU, M370@2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 64 bit OS

Running: Windows 7 Home Premium, SP 1.

The most obvious thing is a battery issue - but it's a special flat battery, clearly not designed to be changed often, and the keyboard is less than 3 months old, I would be surprised if the battery had run down already. The AAA batteries in the keyboard section are still working fine!

Any suggestions very gratefully received.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-05-25T09:28:16+00:00

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

Did you try using suggestions provided in the previous post?

I would suggest you to try using steps provided in this Microsoft knowledge based article and check if it helps.

Refer:

Troubleshoot wired keyboards that don't respond or that type wrong characters

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258826

I would also suggest you to install the latest software from the following link and check if it helps.

Refer this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/downloads#keyboard

I hope this helps.

Thank you

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-11-04T18:42:59+00:00

    I have had three Sculpt Desktop sets and each time the number pad just stops working. Sometimes after a few months. This last time it happened after 6 days. Come on Microsoft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-11-13T21:29:16+00:00

    Funny reading through all this - the person that wrote extensively about moving it around, I came to the conclusion I had inadvertently done the same thing and didn't realize it.

    I switched jobs and during the 3 weeks transition when my office was getting remodeled my keyboard mouse and numberpad went in to a box. Plugged in to new computer, didn't work, installed driver, didn't work.

    Realized it was the $6 battery that needed replacing.

    I did speak to someone about replacing it - they were not nice.

    I've had the keyboard 1.5 years, use for work, have been happy with it, i use keyboard trays so sometimes finding a place for the numberpad is a bit awkward but it's been a decent product. I don't like how gross the wrist pad has become and even some of the letters are peeling off.

    but looking at ergo products not sure what I'd switch to...least for now it's all up and running again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-11-25T20:39:27+00:00

    i have had the same problem.  However, I noticed that if I bang the number pad on my desk a few times, it wakes up.

    then i went more gentled and press a few digits and then wait.... and then the num pad wakes up.

    is this a sleeping feature ?  or really another problem that just happens to act like a sleep feature?

    i don't mind buying a new battery every so many months but a sleep feature is not acceptable when working

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-11-25T20:53:34+00:00

    Another odd thing, my laptop now reacts as if the fn key is "sticky." In order to select multiple items in finder (yes I'm on a macbook) I have to hold fn+shift+click. What I stumbled upon today though is the effect of the blue windows button on my mouse! If I click that the fn "stickiness" goes away. I've cast off the number pad, but maybe that's the issue we are having, perhaps that button turns it off?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments