Scult ergonomic keyboard numberpad stopped responding

Anonymous
2014-01-20T12:29:32+00:00

Hi,

I have a new microsoft sculpt ergonomic keyboard. It comes with a separate number pad, which after working perfectly in the current set-up, suddenly ceased working. No input from the numberpad is received by the computer (numbers, num lock, calculator, delete etc).

I have a Dell U2312HM VGA screen with USB adaptors, which I have the keyboard and mouse USB receivers plugged into.

The USB ports work with other devices.

The keyboard itself still works, just not the numberpad.

The numberpad still doesn't work if I have the USB receiver plugged directly into the laptop.

The drivers are up to date (Apr 2013)

This set-up worked perfectly for the first month. Unfortunately I didn't notice exactly when the numberpad ceased working, so I don't know if something specific triggered it, but the set-up has not been changed in any obvious way.

Laptop: Acer Aspire 5742, Intel i3 CPU, M370@2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 64 bit OS

Running: Windows 7 Home Premium, SP 1.

The most obvious thing is a battery issue - but it's a special flat battery, clearly not designed to be changed often, and the keyboard is less than 3 months old, I would be surprised if the battery had run down already. The AAA batteries in the keyboard section are still working fine!

Any suggestions very gratefully received.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-05-25T09:28:16+00:00

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

Did you try using suggestions provided in the previous post?

I would suggest you to try using steps provided in this Microsoft knowledge based article and check if it helps.

Refer:

Troubleshoot wired keyboards that don't respond or that type wrong characters

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258826

I would also suggest you to install the latest software from the following link and check if it helps.

Refer this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/downloads#keyboard

I hope this helps.

Thank you

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-09-04T16:18:42+00:00

    Hello, I found this reply useful, as the same thing happened to my sculpt numberpad. I bought two sets of the sculpt desktop setup, which includes the keypad, mouse, and keyboard. One set - everything worked fine and still does. The other set, the number pad stopped working while the keyboard and mouse continued to work. After reading this post, I didn't waste time troubleshooting, I simply replaced the battery. And it works fine now. Of course, I'll keep watching it, as I've read other posts about the short battery life of the number pad and issues with it that can't be fixed with a new battery. I am grateful that for now - the new battery - solved my issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-09-10T04:23:21+00:00

    I also have the same issue!  I have had at least 5 Microsoft ergonomic keyboards in the last 3 years.  When they came out with the sculpt I was hoping the had the bugs worked out!  I am about to drop everything Microsoft.  This time I am hoping to find a ergonomic keyboard that is NOT Microsoft.

    If anyone finds an answer that actually works, congratulations

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-09-10T06:26:48+00:00

    Hi, I've been following this thread and wanted to contribute with what, in my view, could be the cause of the problem.

    I believe that, in my case, the problem originated when I packed the numpad in my rucksack. I assume that a key must have then got continually pressed, and that that situation somehow, made the numpad to fail (after that, replacing the battery did not help).

    I then got a new Sculpt. Whenever I pack this one in my rucksack, I remove the battery first*. It may sound a bit tedious (and the continually pressed key might not be the real root cause) but the fact is that I have never had a problem again (it's been more than a year already).

    *Just in case, I also remove the batteries from the QWERTY module. You never know...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-09-18T15:26:18+00:00

    I had the same problem and finally just changed the battery. It seems that if you leave something on the keypad pressing a key, which can happen on any desk, the CR2430 battery will drain quickly. the batteries are like 6 bux for 4 on Amazon. Wish I didn't look past obvious troubleshooting initially. All is working great now, glad to have my # pad back!!! Good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments