Scult ergonomic keyboard numberpad stopped responding

Anonymous
2014-01-20T12:29:32+00:00

Hi,

I have a new microsoft sculpt ergonomic keyboard. It comes with a separate number pad, which after working perfectly in the current set-up, suddenly ceased working. No input from the numberpad is received by the computer (numbers, num lock, calculator, delete etc).

I have a Dell U2312HM VGA screen with USB adaptors, which I have the keyboard and mouse USB receivers plugged into.

The USB ports work with other devices.

The keyboard itself still works, just not the numberpad.

The numberpad still doesn't work if I have the USB receiver plugged directly into the laptop.

The drivers are up to date (Apr 2013)

This set-up worked perfectly for the first month. Unfortunately I didn't notice exactly when the numberpad ceased working, so I don't know if something specific triggered it, but the set-up has not been changed in any obvious way.

Laptop: Acer Aspire 5742, Intel i3 CPU, M370@2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 64 bit OS

Running: Windows 7 Home Premium, SP 1.

The most obvious thing is a battery issue - but it's a special flat battery, clearly not designed to be changed often, and the keyboard is less than 3 months old, I would be surprised if the battery had run down already. The AAA batteries in the keyboard section are still working fine!

Any suggestions very gratefully received.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-05-25T09:28:16+00:00

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

Did you try using suggestions provided in the previous post?

I would suggest you to try using steps provided in this Microsoft knowledge based article and check if it helps.

Refer:

Troubleshoot wired keyboards that don't respond or that type wrong characters

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258826

I would also suggest you to install the latest software from the following link and check if it helps.

Refer this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/downloads#keyboard

I hope this helps.

Thank you

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-06-17T10:03:33+00:00

    Hi Microsoft & Everyone Out There

    I'm suffering fromrepetitive strain injury and as an accountant found the separate number pad to be invaluable!

    No strain - no pain for the last 2 weeks - the length of time I have owned my expensive yet ergonomic split keyboard & mouse.

    With the number pad not working - hopefully due to an expired battery - I am really disappointed.

    The fact that this real problem has been evident since 2014!

    Despite this & the obvious simplicity to the solution Microsoft has done nothing to remedy the situation.

    Has anyone out there attempted to remove the battery!

    A surgical task requiring specialist equipment (a pin)  & a second pair of hands.

    I'd like to hear from Microsoft on this matter.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-06-19T16:31:04+00:00

    Check for stuck keys before you spend a bunch of time trying to change the battery.

    Turn the keypad upside down and tap gently.

    Look closely at the keys; sometimes just a corner of a key can be stuck partway down.

    Also try removing and then reconnecting the USB doohickey.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-08-09T08:39:54+00:00

    Seconded. It's 2 years later, I have the exact same issue and have tried all of the same fixes. Sculpt on Surface 4, native USB 3 port.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments