Scult ergonomic keyboard numberpad stopped responding

Anonymous
2014-01-20T12:29:32+00:00

Hi,

I have a new microsoft sculpt ergonomic keyboard. It comes with a separate number pad, which after working perfectly in the current set-up, suddenly ceased working. No input from the numberpad is received by the computer (numbers, num lock, calculator, delete etc).

I have a Dell U2312HM VGA screen with USB adaptors, which I have the keyboard and mouse USB receivers plugged into.

The USB ports work with other devices.

The keyboard itself still works, just not the numberpad.

The numberpad still doesn't work if I have the USB receiver plugged directly into the laptop.

The drivers are up to date (Apr 2013)

This set-up worked perfectly for the first month. Unfortunately I didn't notice exactly when the numberpad ceased working, so I don't know if something specific triggered it, but the set-up has not been changed in any obvious way.

Laptop: Acer Aspire 5742, Intel i3 CPU, M370@2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 64 bit OS

Running: Windows 7 Home Premium, SP 1.

The most obvious thing is a battery issue - but it's a special flat battery, clearly not designed to be changed often, and the keyboard is less than 3 months old, I would be surprised if the battery had run down already. The AAA batteries in the keyboard section are still working fine!

Any suggestions very gratefully received.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-05-25T09:28:16+00:00

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

Did you try using suggestions provided in the previous post?

I would suggest you to try using steps provided in this Microsoft knowledge based article and check if it helps.

Refer:

Troubleshoot wired keyboards that don't respond or that type wrong characters

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258826

I would also suggest you to install the latest software from the following link and check if it helps.

Refer this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/downloads#keyboard

I hope this helps.

Thank you

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-02-16T09:43:11+00:00

    Hi!

    I had the exact same problem as many of you. Keypad just stopped working after gradually becoming more and more unresponsive for a while.

    Thought it was the battery, but when I replaced it still didn't work.

    -FIX that worked for me-

    I opened the battery cover again and examined the battery holder and noticed that although the battery was firmly attached there was a small small distance between the metal plate of the holder and the battery.

    This has probably occurred due to me pressing a lot on the keypad during last year as the plastic is pretty soft.

    I took out the battery and bent the metal plate slightly outwards gently. After carefully inserting the battery again without bending the metal plate too much back again it WORKED flawlessly with even better range than before from the receiver.

    Just thought I'd share my fix, hope it helps someone.

    Cheers,

    Mike

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-07-05T10:04:00+00:00

    Hello Mike,

    Thank you for your input.

    I also hope that your suggestions may help other community members to resolve similar issues.

    I appreciate it.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-07-30T03:41:01+00:00

    Changing the battery worked for me.  Tough to open the back...just twirl it open.

    Thanks to all---  we'll see how long it lasts now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-07-30T07:15:49+00:00

    Hello,

    Thank you for sharing your experience.

    It is good to know that changing the battery worked for you.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments