Scult ergonomic keyboard numberpad stopped responding

Anonymous
2014-01-20T12:29:32+00:00

Hi,

I have a new microsoft sculpt ergonomic keyboard. It comes with a separate number pad, which after working perfectly in the current set-up, suddenly ceased working. No input from the numberpad is received by the computer (numbers, num lock, calculator, delete etc).

I have a Dell U2312HM VGA screen with USB adaptors, which I have the keyboard and mouse USB receivers plugged into.

The USB ports work with other devices.

The keyboard itself still works, just not the numberpad.

The numberpad still doesn't work if I have the USB receiver plugged directly into the laptop.

The drivers are up to date (Apr 2013)

This set-up worked perfectly for the first month. Unfortunately I didn't notice exactly when the numberpad ceased working, so I don't know if something specific triggered it, but the set-up has not been changed in any obvious way.

Laptop: Acer Aspire 5742, Intel i3 CPU, M370@2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 64 bit OS

Running: Windows 7 Home Premium, SP 1.

The most obvious thing is a battery issue - but it's a special flat battery, clearly not designed to be changed often, and the keyboard is less than 3 months old, I would be surprised if the battery had run down already. The AAA batteries in the keyboard section are still working fine!

Any suggestions very gratefully received.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-05-25T09:28:16+00:00

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

Did you try using suggestions provided in the previous post?

I would suggest you to try using steps provided in this Microsoft knowledge based article and check if it helps.

Refer:

Troubleshoot wired keyboards that don't respond or that type wrong characters

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258826

I would also suggest you to install the latest software from the following link and check if it helps.

Refer this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/downloads#keyboard

I hope this helps.

Thank you

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-09-23T14:32:24+00:00

    Hello Tongsan,

    Thank you for the reply.

    I appreciate your time and patience.

    Sometimes, due to software conflict, keyboard does not work properly. I would suggest you to perform clean boot and check if it helps.

    Refer this article:

    How to perform a clean boot in Windows

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

    Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps from section “How to reset the computer to start as usual after clean boot troubleshooting” to reset the computer to start as usual.

    Clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts.

    I hope this information helps.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-09-23T13:40:33+00:00

    I had this problem with a sculpt set that I bought in summer 2014. Read this thread, tried all the suggested fixes, none worked, contacted Microsoft, and got an immediate replacement at no charge. So far so good! But now two weeks later, the number pad on the NEW keyboard has stopped responding. 

    This is a SERIOUS problem with this keyboard, and I'm sick of dealing with it. Microsoft should fix it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-09-18T07:34:23+00:00

    Hello Ergonomics,

    Thank you for keeping us updated on the status of the issue.

    I am glad that your issue is fixed.

    Please feel free to reply, if you have any other issues with Windows in future.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-09-18T04:05:28+00:00

    Thanks.  Updating the latest keyboard software resolved the issue of number pad.  The pad now connects and responds promptly.  (windows 8 user)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments