Scult ergonomic keyboard numberpad stopped responding

Anonymous
2014-01-20T12:29:32+00:00

Hi,

I have a new microsoft sculpt ergonomic keyboard. It comes with a separate number pad, which after working perfectly in the current set-up, suddenly ceased working. No input from the numberpad is received by the computer (numbers, num lock, calculator, delete etc).

I have a Dell U2312HM VGA screen with USB adaptors, which I have the keyboard and mouse USB receivers plugged into.

The USB ports work with other devices.

The keyboard itself still works, just not the numberpad.

The numberpad still doesn't work if I have the USB receiver plugged directly into the laptop.

The drivers are up to date (Apr 2013)

This set-up worked perfectly for the first month. Unfortunately I didn't notice exactly when the numberpad ceased working, so I don't know if something specific triggered it, but the set-up has not been changed in any obvious way.

Laptop: Acer Aspire 5742, Intel i3 CPU, M370@2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 64 bit OS

Running: Windows 7 Home Premium, SP 1.

The most obvious thing is a battery issue - but it's a special flat battery, clearly not designed to be changed often, and the keyboard is less than 3 months old, I would be surprised if the battery had run down already. The AAA batteries in the keyboard section are still working fine!

Any suggestions very gratefully received.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-05-25T09:28:16+00:00

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

Did you try using suggestions provided in the previous post?

I would suggest you to try using steps provided in this Microsoft knowledge based article and check if it helps.

Refer:

Troubleshoot wired keyboards that don't respond or that type wrong characters

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258826

I would also suggest you to install the latest software from the following link and check if it helps.

Refer this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/downloads#keyboard

I hope this helps.

Thank you

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-01-26T16:04:51+00:00

    this keyboard is junk.

    I tried all the fixes listed here but none of them worked. And now the receiver has gone out and I can't use it at all.  I want my money back.  spent spent all morning on this problem, on the phone with various Microsoft agents, being shuttled from one to the other and getting cut off twice. Now finally I've been told I should send it back on my own nickel with a request for a refund, though no guarantees because I bought the thing more than 45 days ago.

    I'll never buy a Microsoft keyboard/mouse again! what a waste of time and energy. And money.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-11-16T18:57:29+00:00

    Hello,

    OK, it's been a busy time but I finally tried this suggestion--downloading the drivers. I installed them per instructions but this didn't solve the problem either. 

    I am running Windows 7 Enterprise on a Dell Latitude laptop.

    The main keyboard works fine. So does the mouse.

    The number pad does not respond to any of the suggested remedies.

    I paid extra money for a feature that doesn't work. Please help.

    thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-09-29T11:50:21+00:00

    Hello Tongsan,

    Thank you again for the reply.

    I would suggest you to run Intel driver update utility to automatically identify and find driverswhich your computer requires.

    Refer this link:

    http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect?iid=dc_iduu

    Please follow these steps:

    a. Click "Check your system for updates", and then follow on-screen instructions.

    b. Please make sure that you install all the required utilities so that Intel driver update utility run properly.

    c. You will see a list showing new drivers available. Please download and install those drivers and then

    check the issue.

    I hope this helps.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-09-26T19:31:34+00:00

    Hello, I tried the clean reboot but the number pad still didn't work after the clean reboot. 

    What's next?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments