Scult ergonomic keyboard numberpad stopped responding

Anonymous
2014-01-20T12:29:32+00:00

Hi,

I have a new microsoft sculpt ergonomic keyboard. It comes with a separate number pad, which after working perfectly in the current set-up, suddenly ceased working. No input from the numberpad is received by the computer (numbers, num lock, calculator, delete etc).

I have a Dell U2312HM VGA screen with USB adaptors, which I have the keyboard and mouse USB receivers plugged into.

The USB ports work with other devices.

The keyboard itself still works, just not the numberpad.

The numberpad still doesn't work if I have the USB receiver plugged directly into the laptop.

The drivers are up to date (Apr 2013)

This set-up worked perfectly for the first month. Unfortunately I didn't notice exactly when the numberpad ceased working, so I don't know if something specific triggered it, but the set-up has not been changed in any obvious way.

Laptop: Acer Aspire 5742, Intel i3 CPU, M370@2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 64 bit OS

Running: Windows 7 Home Premium, SP 1.

The most obvious thing is a battery issue - but it's a special flat battery, clearly not designed to be changed often, and the keyboard is less than 3 months old, I would be surprised if the battery had run down already. The AAA batteries in the keyboard section are still working fine!

Any suggestions very gratefully received.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-05-25T09:28:16+00:00

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

Did you try using suggestions provided in the previous post?

I would suggest you to try using steps provided in this Microsoft knowledge based article and check if it helps.

Refer:

Troubleshoot wired keyboards that don't respond or that type wrong characters

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258826

I would also suggest you to install the latest software from the following link and check if it helps.

Refer this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/downloads#keyboard

I hope this helps.

Thank you

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-06-24T13:14:30+00:00

    Hi. I"m having the same problem. Non of the solutions you suggested above worked. I changed the battery and it worked for 2 days and then stopped again. Is that a hardware problem? Is there a fix?

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-03-30T13:30:01+00:00

    I had this problem on one keyboard, complained, MS replaced it, then I had the same problem with the replacement. MS offered to replace the replacement and I said, basically, you're kidding, right? I want my money back. they said they couldn't return because the original purchase was too long ago. But it wasn't the original purchase that failed, I said. They said, Sorry. I said,  basically, You're kidding right? And then after some hair-pulling they said, OK send it in and we'll see what we can do.

    So I paid $13 to send it to them with a detailed cover letter explaining the whole thing. That was months ago. I haven't heard from them. 

    I will NEVER buy MS keyboard or mouse again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-03-30T07:22:42+00:00

    Same issue here numpad doesn't work,

    try to install the hot fix but it failed as " it is not applicable on this computer" win7 x64

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-02-06T20:18:59+00:00

    Changing the battery did the trick for me. All good now.

    I had the keyboard for about 6 months and only use the numpad lightly. The I went on a business trip and took the keyboard with me along with the numpad. They fit in may laptop case quite fine but I'm guessing that since the numpad has no power switch and it is not easy to pop the battery it must have been constantly taking keystrokes in the bag while turned on.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments