Scult ergonomic keyboard numberpad stopped responding

Anonymous
2014-01-20T12:29:32+00:00

Hi,

I have a new microsoft sculpt ergonomic keyboard. It comes with a separate number pad, which after working perfectly in the current set-up, suddenly ceased working. No input from the numberpad is received by the computer (numbers, num lock, calculator, delete etc).

I have a Dell U2312HM VGA screen with USB adaptors, which I have the keyboard and mouse USB receivers plugged into.

The USB ports work with other devices.

The keyboard itself still works, just not the numberpad.

The numberpad still doesn't work if I have the USB receiver plugged directly into the laptop.

The drivers are up to date (Apr 2013)

This set-up worked perfectly for the first month. Unfortunately I didn't notice exactly when the numberpad ceased working, so I don't know if something specific triggered it, but the set-up has not been changed in any obvious way.

Laptop: Acer Aspire 5742, Intel i3 CPU, M370@2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 64 bit OS

Running: Windows 7 Home Premium, SP 1.

The most obvious thing is a battery issue - but it's a special flat battery, clearly not designed to be changed often, and the keyboard is less than 3 months old, I would be surprised if the battery had run down already. The AAA batteries in the keyboard section are still working fine!

Any suggestions very gratefully received.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-05-25T09:28:16+00:00

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

Did you try using suggestions provided in the previous post?

I would suggest you to try using steps provided in this Microsoft knowledge based article and check if it helps.

Refer:

Troubleshoot wired keyboards that don't respond or that type wrong characters

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258826

I would also suggest you to install the latest software from the following link and check if it helps.

Refer this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/downloads#keyboard

I hope this helps.

Thank you

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-10-09T20:12:46+00:00

    It's funny that everyone has the same problem and the key pad fails just after the return polices time runs out, why is this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-10-09T20:09:05+00:00

    I have tried all the above and it still doesn't work!! it must be a product defect so, Microsoft needs to step up and tell us what we need to do to replace or fix this defect.

    Buddy

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-10-09T12:10:39+00:00

    I am also getting the USB not recognized or malfunctioning error. Summary:

    • Sculpt ergonomic desktop (keyboard band mouse)
    • Windows 10
    • The keyboard and mouse both work fine for about 10 minutes
    • Then I get the error.
    • Keyboard, Mouse, and USB receiver are all still listed as connected in "connected devices"
    • Changing usb port does not make a difference.
    • Rebooting does not make a difference
    • Reinstalling the MS software (in different compatibility modes) brought short-lived success

    Bottom line: It is functioning, not a hardware problem, but it ALWAYS stops working in a few minutes and then is very difficult to get working again, and then it stops AGAIN!

    I have turned off all power saving stuff I can find, and also looked for conflicts, but nothing...

    Does anyone have advice or similar experience? I have implemented every fix I have found on the net to no avail.

    BTW, when the mouse dies, the keyboard dies.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-09-18T15:26:18+00:00

    I had the same problem and finally just changed the battery. It seems that if you leave something on the keypad pressing a key, which can happen on any desk, the CR2430 battery will drain quickly. the batteries are like 6 bux for 4 on Amazon. Wish I didn't look past obvious troubleshooting initially. All is working great now, glad to have my # pad back!!! Good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments