Scult ergonomic keyboard numberpad stopped responding

Anonymous
2014-01-20T12:29:32+00:00

Hi,

I have a new microsoft sculpt ergonomic keyboard. It comes with a separate number pad, which after working perfectly in the current set-up, suddenly ceased working. No input from the numberpad is received by the computer (numbers, num lock, calculator, delete etc).

I have a Dell U2312HM VGA screen with USB adaptors, which I have the keyboard and mouse USB receivers plugged into.

The USB ports work with other devices.

The keyboard itself still works, just not the numberpad.

The numberpad still doesn't work if I have the USB receiver plugged directly into the laptop.

The drivers are up to date (Apr 2013)

This set-up worked perfectly for the first month. Unfortunately I didn't notice exactly when the numberpad ceased working, so I don't know if something specific triggered it, but the set-up has not been changed in any obvious way.

Laptop: Acer Aspire 5742, Intel i3 CPU, M370@2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 64 bit OS

Running: Windows 7 Home Premium, SP 1.

The most obvious thing is a battery issue - but it's a special flat battery, clearly not designed to be changed often, and the keyboard is less than 3 months old, I would be surprised if the battery had run down already. The AAA batteries in the keyboard section are still working fine!

Any suggestions very gratefully received.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-05-25T09:28:16+00:00

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

Did you try using suggestions provided in the previous post?

I would suggest you to try using steps provided in this Microsoft knowledge based article and check if it helps.

Refer:

Troubleshoot wired keyboards that don't respond or that type wrong characters

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258826

I would also suggest you to install the latest software from the following link and check if it helps.

Refer this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/downloads#keyboard

I hope this helps.

Thank you

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-05-25T05:15:02+00:00

    Hello,

    Thank you for your response.

    Did you try using suggestions provided in the previous post?

    I hope that changing the battery may resolve the issue.

    Please keep us updated on the status of the issue.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-05-24T07:47:52+00:00

    Hi,

    I have a new microsoft sculpt ergonomic keyboard. It comes with a separate number pad, which after working perfectly in the current set-up, suddenly ceased working. No input from the numberpad is received by the computer (numbers, num lock, calculator, delete etc).

    ...

    The most obvious thing is a battery issue - but it's a special flat battery, clearly not designed to be changed often, and the keyboard is less than 3 months old, I would be surprised if the battery had run down already. The AAA batteries in the keyboard section are still working fine!

    Any suggestions very gratefully received.

    I had the very same problem. After going through some extensive (and useless) troubleshooting, I decided to remove and test the battery. It is a 3V battery, and the tester measured just 0.4V (!!!). So it's either that Microsoft had a batch of faulty batteries, or that the numpad for whichever reason drains the battery quicker than it should. I hope it's the former. I will now replace the battery and see if it lasts as long as it should do.

    Regards and good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-01-21T07:15:36+00:00

    Hello,

    Thank you for posting your question on Microsoft Community forum.

    I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if it works for you.

    Method 1:

    Please use this Microsoft help article and check if it helps.

    Mouse, touchpad, and keyboard problems in Windows

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/help/mouse-touchpad-keyboard-problems-in-windows#v1h=tab01

    If the above method does not work, then use microsoft article in method 2:

    Method 2:

    Troubleshooting: Keyboards

    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/help/support/troubleshooting/keyboard/common-issues

    If still the issue persists, Please use article in method 3.

    Method 3:

    Please follow the steps from this link:

    Troubleshoot response failures in wireless keyboard or mouse

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838398

    I hope this information helps.

    Please let me know if issue persists. We will be glad to assist you further.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments