Scult ergonomic keyboard numberpad stopped responding

Anonymous
2014-01-20T12:29:32+00:00

Hi,

I have a new microsoft sculpt ergonomic keyboard. It comes with a separate number pad, which after working perfectly in the current set-up, suddenly ceased working. No input from the numberpad is received by the computer (numbers, num lock, calculator, delete etc).

I have a Dell U2312HM VGA screen with USB adaptors, which I have the keyboard and mouse USB receivers plugged into.

The USB ports work with other devices.

The keyboard itself still works, just not the numberpad.

The numberpad still doesn't work if I have the USB receiver plugged directly into the laptop.

The drivers are up to date (Apr 2013)

This set-up worked perfectly for the first month. Unfortunately I didn't notice exactly when the numberpad ceased working, so I don't know if something specific triggered it, but the set-up has not been changed in any obvious way.

Laptop: Acer Aspire 5742, Intel i3 CPU, M370@2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 64 bit OS

Running: Windows 7 Home Premium, SP 1.

The most obvious thing is a battery issue - but it's a special flat battery, clearly not designed to be changed often, and the keyboard is less than 3 months old, I would be surprised if the battery had run down already. The AAA batteries in the keyboard section are still working fine!

Any suggestions very gratefully received.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-05-25T09:28:16+00:00

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

Did you try using suggestions provided in the previous post?

I would suggest you to try using steps provided in this Microsoft knowledge based article and check if it helps.

Refer:

Troubleshoot wired keyboards that don't respond or that type wrong characters

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258826

I would also suggest you to install the latest software from the following link and check if it helps.

Refer this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/downloads#keyboard

I hope this helps.

Thank you

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-01-26T16:04:51+00:00

    this keyboard is junk.

    I tried all the fixes listed here but none of them worked. And now the receiver has gone out and I can't use it at all.  I want my money back.  spent spent all morning on this problem, on the phone with various Microsoft agents, being shuttled from one to the other and getting cut off twice. Now finally I've been told I should send it back on my own nickel with a request for a refund, though no guarantees because I bought the thing more than 45 days ago.

    I'll never buy a Microsoft keyboard/mouse again! what a waste of time and energy. And money.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-05-24T07:47:52+00:00

    Hi,

    I have a new microsoft sculpt ergonomic keyboard. It comes with a separate number pad, which after working perfectly in the current set-up, suddenly ceased working. No input from the numberpad is received by the computer (numbers, num lock, calculator, delete etc).

    ...

    The most obvious thing is a battery issue - but it's a special flat battery, clearly not designed to be changed often, and the keyboard is less than 3 months old, I would be surprised if the battery had run down already. The AAA batteries in the keyboard section are still working fine!

    Any suggestions very gratefully received.

    I had the very same problem. After going through some extensive (and useless) troubleshooting, I decided to remove and test the battery. It is a 3V battery, and the tester measured just 0.4V (!!!). So it's either that Microsoft had a batch of faulty batteries, or that the numpad for whichever reason drains the battery quicker than it should. I hope it's the former. I will now replace the battery and see if it lasts as long as it should do.

    Regards and good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-05-25T18:44:15+00:00

    Hi,

    I replaced the original battery (which only showed 0.4V) with a new one (with the correct voltage, i.e. 3V).

    Unfortunately, this was not helpful at all. The inputs from the numpad still had no effect.

    I then thought, that I just might need to reinstall the devices after having replaced the battery in one of them, So I removed the 3 wireless devices in the control panel and reinstalled them again. After that, the keyboard and mouse work fine, but the numpad is still 'dead'. 

    If I have the chance, I will check if the numpad drains the new battery. However, I think the only reasonable step left is going to the store and seeing if I can get a new Sculpt set (hopefully that one will work alright).

    If anyone finds a solution to this issue, I would be glad to know.

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-05-25T19:02:07+00:00

    Hi,

    after less than one hour with the new battery in place (and with the numpad not responding), I took the battery out and tested it. The voltage had already dropped from 3V to 2.6V. This is obviously not normal and, to me, it suggests that there must be a short circuit within the numpad.

    It looks therefore like a manufacturing (i. e. quality) issue. Just mentioning it, in case the Microsoft people want to look into it.

    I'll go to the store to have the Sculpt set replaced.

    Good luck with it.

    Best Regards,

    Pablo

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments