Windows Update KB2919355

Anonymous
2014-05-04T19:51:54+00:00

I have been trying to install the KB2919355 update several times, but it will not install.  I have three PC's all running the same Windows 8.1 Pro with a volume license.  it has installed on two of them, but not the third.  It has failed to install 24 times.  Any suggestions on how to get this to install?

Jay

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-05-20T07:55:47+00:00

    Hello MB,

    Thank you for the reply.

    It is very unfortunate that none of the suggestions provided in the previous posts help.

    As you have done almost everything, I would suggest you to refresh windows and check.

    Refer this article:

    How to refresh, reset, or restore your PC

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

    Note: Apps you installed from websites and DVDs will be removed. Apps that came with your PC and apps you installed from the Windows Store will be reinstalled. Windows puts a list of removed apps on your desktop after refreshing your PC.

    Thank you

    Mr. Ratandeep,

    As an engineer, you most surely know that a repair install functions better than a refresh/reset, especially considering this repair option has been around for over a decade and began with Windows XP.

    It would actually be more conducive for Microsoft employees and moderators to simply say nothing at all if all are simply going to:

    1. down play and deny the muck up Microsoft has caused with KB2919355, it's installer, and Windows Update.
    2. offer only misinformation and four non-solutions: /scanhealth, then /restorehealth (/scanhealth is a time wasting redundant step that is read only and not needed seeming as it takes just as long as /restorehealth to run [which is scanhealth with repair]), refresh, or reset... none of which I might add are going to do anything for the problems and system corruption that arises out of a failed KB2919355 download or install.
    3. Not exert any serious effort to determine what is causing massive component store and system corruption to such an extent not even the /source option works.

    If you care to actually troubleshoot the issue, here is what does work and why the following steps must be taken.  Any feedback on these solutions to the problems caused by KB2919355 is encouraged, even more so if you care to share this amongst your colleagues for feedback...

    The following fixes the Component Store Corruption KB2919355 AND Windows Update causes...

    The following DISM commands must be given in the chronological sequential order of:

    First

    (Fixes Component Store Corruption; Should 1 or 2 fail with an error, rerun. If either fails a second time, you will need to do a repair install, see tutorial at bottom):

    1.dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

    2. dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

    1. Restart

    4. sfc /scannow

    1. Restart

    Second:

    ("Resets" Windows Update; however, if you attempt KB2919355 again through Windows Update, the same corruption will occur again)

    1. Create bat and run as ADMIN:

    net stop wuauserv

    rmdir /s /q C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore

    rmdir /s /q C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

    net start wuauserv

    1. Restart

    ‪#‎ WARNING‬:

    this was not a fast process... component cleanup took almost 5 hours. Prior to the above sequential steps, I did an install repair (used iso to "upgrade" Win 8.1 Pro to Win 8.1 Pro) as a last ditch effort (after half a day of researching a fix and finding none) to get rid of the corruption... it didn't solve it btw. The insane amount of time could have been due to the install repair, or it could have been because of whatever ‪#‎WindowsUpdate‬ mucked up the first time around trying to install this update (this will become known after another user affected by the corruption causingKB2919355 completes the steps).

    ‪#‎ ADVICE‬:

    run the commands from a bat for an unattended fix. For whatever reason, if these commands are run, but not in chronological sequence, the corruption will remain.

    ...Now, back to the update ‪#‎Microsoft‬ mucked up (KB2919355)... it still fails after the above lol Bright side: no more corruption in Component Store =] lol

    ADVICE:

    Download the updates included in KB2919355 individually and install... or do as old Van Winkle did and find a tree.

    ***If the above fails to get rid of the Component Store Corruption (steps 1,2, or 4 fail), then an install repair (upgrade to your same version of windows) will be required.  Although this repair does not eliminate the corruption, if you're unable to fix the corruption using the method above. then the install repair is replacing something that is needed to fix the corruption but which is not able to pro vide a fix on it's own. Also, download [search] "Microsoft Safety Scanner" from the Microsoft website (I apologize, as I don't remember the thread I found the link on) and run it in full mode either way.***

    Tutorial for Repair Install "upgrade"

    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/26095-repair-install-windows-8-a.html

    • Once KB2919355 causes corruption to the extent that /restorehealth no longer operates without errors, there is nothing further than can be done to repair the corruption, except a Repair Install.  DISM /restorehealth was designed to fix component store corruption and is the only application able to do so. Windows Update and KB2919355 causes system corruption to such an extent that using /source and pointing to the installation media or a working windows 8 installtion without corruption does nothing and /restorehealth still fails.

    DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT REFRESH/RESET YOUR PC.

    ***DISCLAIMER:*Microsoft will deny this update caused corruption within end user's systems and will blame it on everything else but components of their own OS, most especially Windows Update.  The only problem with this: thousands of users have reported massive corruption not only to the Component Store, but also within the DISM and System File Checker utilities.  Microsoft closed the two longest running threads on the corruption caused by KB2919355, one 116 pages long, the other 103... all the while telling users to run /scanhealth /restorehealth maybe a /startcomponentrepair in their somewhere, but never in the order which they must be run, or how to explain DISM /restorehealth corruption errors when being used with /source and the source was a mounted install.wim, as well as a VM win 8.1 with no corruption within it's component store.

    ‪‪#‎Windows8‬ ‪#‎ComponentStore‬ ‪#‎WindowsADK ‬‪#‎ComponentStoreCorruption‬

    http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/microsoft-posts-tips-overcoming-windows-81-update-kb-2919355-errors-242603

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-05-20T08:05:30+00:00

    Hello,

    Thank you for your input.

    I hope that your suggestions help other community members to solve similar issues.

    I appreciate it.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-05-20T08:14:17+00:00

    I appreciate that, but I was anticipating a bit more... such as an ETA on a fix since Microsoft seems keen to prevent users not updated to KB2919355 (at no fault of their own I might add, due entirely to coding errors within Microsoft) from accessing patches after the first week of June (which would have been this week, I believe).  This has caused corruption in thousands of end users computers, and that's just on the consumer side, not even including businesses and their mounds of terminals, for 6 weeks now with Microsoft carefully choosing their words to not outrightly lie, but at the same time massively downplaying the extent of damage this update has caused... whether from Windows Update, the update package, or the the installer, one of them is causing massive corruption within the component store to such an extent /restorehealth is unable to fix it.

    It's one thing for a user to be infected by malware and have their OS files corrupted, another entirely to have the OS corrupt it's own files to such an extent that a repair install, reinstall, refresh, or reset are the only options.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-05-21T05:21:48+00:00

    Just a pregnant thought, I had Windows 8.0 Pro on three computers which were updated to 8.1 and after a while when available, I installed the KB2919355 update with no problems. 

    I have one computer that was loaded with a clean install of a downloaded version of Windows 8.1 Pro and everything mentioned in this thread I try in order to update to KB2919355 still crashes the computer, nothing works.

    Is there a difference between 8.1 and 8.0 updated to 8.1. It’s the only reason I can think of that is different between all four computers. Most computers are probably updated to 8.1.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-05-21T16:47:05+00:00

    Just a pregnant thought, I had Windows 8.0 Pro on three computers which were updated to 8.1 and after a while when available, I installed the KB2919355 update with no problems. 

    I have one computer that was loaded with a clean install of a downloaded version of Windows 8.1 Pro and everything mentioned in this thread I try in order to update to KB2919355 still crashes the computer, nothing works.

    Is there a difference between 8.1 and 8.0 updated to 8.1. It’s the only reason I can think of that is different between all four computers. Most computers are probably updated to 8.1.

    I can't adequately answer the 8 vs 8.1 question, as I don't run 8.

    However, will you elaborate on the meaning of your terminology of "crashes the computer" please.  "Crashes the computer" is generally meant to mean the OS is not bootable, which none of the direction I gave could do, so I assume [please correct me if I'm wrong] you mean that you are still receiving errors using DISM and or SFC?  If this is the case, you will need to do a repair install [see tutorial link at bottom of the aforementioned post].  DISM /restorehealth is the only tool that can fix component store corruption, and while corruption exists, SFC will return errors that it was unable to fix everything and see the CBS log for details. The easiest and most convenient way for end users to repair component store corruption if /restorehealth repeatedly fails is to perform a repair install by upgrading to their current version of windows installed [Windows 8 = Windows 8 upgrade, windows 8.1 Pro = Windows 8.1 Pro upgrade].

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments