Windows Update KB2919355

Anonymous
2014-05-04T19:51:54+00:00

I have been trying to install the KB2919355 update several times, but it will not install.  I have three PC's all running the same Windows 8.1 Pro with a volume license.  it has installed on two of them, but not the third.  It has failed to install 24 times.  Any suggestions on how to get this to install?

Jay

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-05-25T00:04:06+00:00

    I didn’t know Microsoft had admitted to a problem with the update. I wasn’t suggesting a solution to the problem I was more or less hinting at a wait and see what Microsoft comes up with. In regards to trying your suggestions I downloaded KB2919442 from the Microsoft download page and tried to install it and was told it was already installed (same on both OS installs). I went to Control Panel -System and clicked on Windows Update (at the bottom of the page) I did a search for KB2919442 and it replied it couldn’t find it, go figure.

    FYI checking on my old drive I even got ” Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2961851) without KB2919355” .

    So it seems I have to wait for MS.

    If you updated 8.1 successfully you get a Store icon on the Taskbar and a Power Options button top right on the Start Page.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-05-24T19:52:46+00:00

    I'm unclear what it is you're asking... 

    I'm also unclear on the input you want to contribute to the steps you quoted on how to solve the KB2919355 update failure and system file corruption.

    Microsoft knows there is a problem with KB2919355, which is why they moved the deadline for it's install to the first week of June... however, what little cookie cutter "advice", and I use that term loosely, they've offered has not only been inappropriate to the problems experienced, but also compounds the problem, making it worse for the end user.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-05-24T19:43:10+00:00

    I think Microsoft knows there is a problem with the KB2919355 update. You may ask why, well on my HP Z820 that keeps on refusing to update I added a new drive on 5/17/14 and installed a downloaded version of Windows 8.1Pro, it is now 5/24/14 and I have yet to receive the update KB2919442 or KB2919355, yet it has installed 55 other updates most of them on the 18^th^. Before on my other drive the KB2919355 update would keep on appearing  the next day after I had done a recover from the previous lockup. I am fortunate that I can lock out drives so that the computer only boots from the drive I want. I have the same problem with my old drive after I did a refresh (reinstall of the OS) no KB2919442 or KB2919355.

    The old drive is a dual boot with Windows 7 on another drive. After updating I would never see the dual boot screen asking me which OS I wanted, before it would flash some unreadable error screen and then go into its fix system routine twice then give me the option to recover to a previous good version of 8.1. Note Microsoft has moved the deadline forward for this update??

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-05-24T15:07:49+00:00

    ***It appears I have stumbled upon a fix for all KB2919355 issues and will be posting this to numerous forum threads***

    As many discoveries have been made, I discovered this accidentally. and quite by coincidence... 

    In order for users, who've been plagued by errors and file corruption, to get a successful completion of KB2919355, all that's needed is to run the 8.1 upgrade installer, and when the 8.1 installed goes to the wait screen after entering the generic product key, start Windows Update for the install of KB2919355

    Steps

    1. Run the Windows 8.1 installer from within Windows, as if you're going to do an install repair "upgrade".
    2. Enter the generic product key, and upon clicking next, the installer will say wait...
    3. Give the installer about 5 minutes, then start Windows Update (it should show the KB2919355 update), and click install.
    4. Windows Update will begin downloading the update... if you have a Windows Update cache problem that causes the speed and percentage to remain at zero, don't worry about it and get the update installed first, then you can clear the cache and remove the directories afterwards.
    5. The install may fail, don't worry... simply hit install again, making sure the 8.1 installer screen is still on the "wait" screen, as whatever the installer is doing during the "wait" screen is what makes the KB2919355 install possible.
    6. KB2919355 should install and Windows Update should request you to restart... simply do so without cancelling the 8.1 installer.  Windows will finalize the update during the shutdown and restart processes.
    7. Upon rebooting into Windows, you will have a multitude of additional updates that will need to be installed (around 10, give or take a few), and you can verify the install of KB2919355 by going to "view installed updates"

    A few users will need to comment back once they'e performed this in order to see if this automatically fixes the multitude of issues users are facing, and if it doesn't complete successfully, then I can back track what step I took over the past several days in order to figure out what caused this to work for me, but not others if problems occur.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-05-21T16:47:05+00:00

    Just a pregnant thought, I had Windows 8.0 Pro on three computers which were updated to 8.1 and after a while when available, I installed the KB2919355 update with no problems. 

    I have one computer that was loaded with a clean install of a downloaded version of Windows 8.1 Pro and everything mentioned in this thread I try in order to update to KB2919355 still crashes the computer, nothing works.

    Is there a difference between 8.1 and 8.0 updated to 8.1. It’s the only reason I can think of that is different between all four computers. Most computers are probably updated to 8.1.

    I can't adequately answer the 8 vs 8.1 question, as I don't run 8.

    However, will you elaborate on the meaning of your terminology of "crashes the computer" please.  "Crashes the computer" is generally meant to mean the OS is not bootable, which none of the direction I gave could do, so I assume [please correct me if I'm wrong] you mean that you are still receiving errors using DISM and or SFC?  If this is the case, you will need to do a repair install [see tutorial link at bottom of the aforementioned post].  DISM /restorehealth is the only tool that can fix component store corruption, and while corruption exists, SFC will return errors that it was unable to fix everything and see the CBS log for details. The easiest and most convenient way for end users to repair component store corruption if /restorehealth repeatedly fails is to perform a repair install by upgrading to their current version of windows installed [Windows 8 = Windows 8 upgrade, windows 8.1 Pro = Windows 8.1 Pro upgrade].

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments