Forced Windows 8.1 Update

Anonymous
2014-09-04T18:30:42+00:00

This morning a blue banner appeared on my screen asking me when I wanted to restart my computer to continue to download the update to Win 8.1 (I have Windows 8).  At no time did I start the download process.  I selected "Remind me later" from the drop down.   A few minutes later, the download started, and the drop down only allowed me to select a time period to restart my computer (Now, 1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours)!.  I was committed, and I never authorized this!  So I selected "Now" just to see what would happen.  I went to the Windows Store and lo and behold the update was downloading.  The update failed (I got an error 0xC1900101).  I disabled the update notification reminder using regedit (I was sick of seeing it every time I powered down my computer anyway)-but how could this happen?  This looked like a legitimate Windows notification.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-09-06T02:47:23+00:00

    Computer is a Toshiba p875-s7102 dual-bay laptop with an Intel i7-3630qm processor and hm76 chipset. 24gb of RAM, 120GB SSD is the boot drive, 750 hdd is a storage drive.  Intel hd4000 integrated graphics.  The specific variant of the 0XC1900101 error is 0x20020017.  Windows 8 is baked in-no discs came with the computer.  I did create a recovery USB.  When I originally got it, it only had the HDD-I cloned Windows 8 to the SSD later, but still retained Windows 8 on the HDD.  Later I updated to Windows 8.1 on the HDD (initially I had some problems with the profile service, but then did a refresh and was able to successfully log into my Microsoft profile).  So I have a computer with two internal drives-the SSD is the boot drive with Windows 8, and the HDD has 8.1 which I can boot from by changing the boot order in the bios.  To my knowledge, all of my drivers are up to date (if you believe the Intel driver program).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-09-06T21:18:48+00:00

    TIP: See my colleague's ANSWER post in this recent, similar thread => http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/8c5d320f-bf25-45c4-b7e3-234687d51cf6

    If you need further assistance getting Win8.1 installed on the SSD, please begin your own, new thread in this forum: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-windows_install-wininstalls

    Good luck!  Over & outta here...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-09-10T00:40:43+00:00

    This morning a blue banner appeared on my screen asking me when I wanted to restart my computer to continue to download the update to Win 8.1 (I have Windows 8).  At no time did I start the download process.  I selected "Remind me later" from the drop down.   A few minutes later, the download started, and the drop down only allowed me to select a time period to restart my computer (Now, 1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours)!.  I was committed, and I never authorized this!  So I selected "Now" just to see what would happen.  I went to the Windows Store and lo and behold the update was downloading.  The update failed (I got an error 0xC1900101).  I disabled the update notification reminder using regedit (I was sick of seeing it every time I powered down my computer anyway)-but how could this happen?  This looked like a legitimate Windows notification.

    The same thing just happened to me. What the deuce? I have 4 hours to stop it or I will not be happy. fells like Walmart. Its the only choice we get. Poo

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-09-12T04:49:25+00:00

    I am absolutely horrified at this attempt to force me to upgrade to 8.1.  I am in the middle of trying to solve possible hacking because alien phones are appearing on my netrowk and then - lo - I get a red flag in right bottom corner telling me to sign in with my latest password (which I wouldn't do because of above problems) and then in the right hand corner a bright yellow sign saying that 8.1 upgrade is in progress. I feel like I'm being forcibly being taken over by the likes of ISIS. Why is this happening? And how can I find out if  my OneDrive account is being invaded? Furious and awaiting return call from a network maintenance company.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-09-12T06:30:24+00:00

    I am absolutely horrified at this attempt to force me to upgrade to 8.1...       

    I dunno about being forced to install Win8.1 but - assuming KB2871389 & KB2973544 have been installed - have you read http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2973544?

    <QP>

    This article describes an update that enables Windows RT to update to Windows RT 8.1 and that enables Window 8 to update to Windows 8.1...If you have Automatic Updates enabled on a computer that is running Windows RT or Windows 8 and that has update KB2871389 installed, [installing KB2073544] can automatically start the update process to...Windows 8.1.

    </QP>

    Note that Win8.1 must be installed by 12 January 2016 or the computer will not be offered any further updates.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments