Forced Windows 8.1 Update

Anonymous
2014-09-04T18:30:42+00:00

This morning a blue banner appeared on my screen asking me when I wanted to restart my computer to continue to download the update to Win 8.1 (I have Windows 8).  At no time did I start the download process.  I selected "Remind me later" from the drop down.   A few minutes later, the download started, and the drop down only allowed me to select a time period to restart my computer (Now, 1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours)!.  I was committed, and I never authorized this!  So I selected "Now" just to see what would happen.  I went to the Windows Store and lo and behold the update was downloading.  The update failed (I got an error 0xC1900101).  I disabled the update notification reminder using regedit (I was sick of seeing it every time I powered down my computer anyway)-but how could this happen?  This looked like a legitimate Windows notification.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-09-04T21:43:02+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-09-05T04:12:39+00:00

    Same computer. Update kb2973544 installed 8/28/2014, kb2871389 on 9/11/2013, and no record of kb2917499 (if I recall correctly this was the one that wasn't "applicable" to my computer). This upgrade was not done using Windows Store-it was a spontaneous, not-authorized-by-me upgrade that I basically had no choice but to allow. My version of Windows 8 is oem-not an upgrade from Windows 7.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-09-05T06:03:40+00:00

    Since KB2871389 had been installed a year ago, installing KB2973544 on 28 August automatically started the download/install of Windows 8.1 via the Windows Store.

    KB2973544 supersedes (replaces) KB2885699 and, apparently, KB2917499.

       [Yes, it is rather sneaky when you think about it. Then again, MS is making a concerted effort to "push" Win8.1 to Win8 computers even though you have until 12 January 2016 to get Win8.1 installed.]

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-09-05T11:16:44+00:00

    Rather sneaky is the understatement of the year.  I hadn't seen any complaints about this update online, which is surprising given the nature of the update-an automatic, no choice in the matter decision made by Microsoft to push 8.1 on people?  My other concern is why the update failed.  I have seen extensive chatter online about failed updates with the error message I received.  I did run the update with all external drives attached and Kaspersky still installed-I think I may try it again with those elements disabled to see if it works.  Does it matter that I deleted the recovery partition when I migrated over to an SSD? I was able to update to 8.1 on my standard hard drive (my Toshiba is duel-bayed).  That hard drive is still installed but is used for storage only. Does it make a difference if I still have a hard drive with 8.1 on it (but not being used), while trying to update to 8.1 on the other? Should I just migrate 8.1 back from the HDD to the SSD? Lots of questions.

    Edit: I saw the update you linked to enabling the automatic update to 8.1.  My computer automatically applies Windows Updates. I think I might disable the auto-update feature.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-09-05T18:26:31+00:00

    [1] My other concern is why the update failed.

    [2] Does it matter that I deleted the recovery partition when I migrated over to an SSD?

    [3] I think I might disable the auto-update feature.

    A1. Assuming you're referring to Win8.1 failing to install <EDIT> on the SSD drive </EDIT> & throwing a 0xC1900101 error, I'd have to know much more about the computer before I could even venture to hazard a guess. I can tell you that you're certainly not alone! => http://goo.gl/Y9Lgtt

    A2. As far as installing Win8.1 is concerned, no. But if you need to do a Refresh or a Reset, you'll need to use the discs that came with the computer or the set of Recovery discs you created <EDIT> and saved to the USB drive </EDIT> earlier to do it.

    A3. Why not just change your AU setting to the Check for updates but let me choose... option? That way, no updates will download without your approval (but any approved updates will automatically install without any further prompting).

    REMINDER: Support for Win8 ends in January 2016. Win8.1 must be installed by 12 January 2016 or the computer will NOT be offered ANY further updates.

    [Last Revised (as marked) - 06 Sept-14, 21:07 UTC]

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments