Both KB2973544 and KB2871389 are not listed under the 81 installed updates.
Updates are done through Windows Update automatically. (something to reconsider).
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
This morning a blue banner appeared on my screen asking me when I wanted to restart my computer to continue to download the update to Win 8.1 (I have Windows 8). At no time did I start the download process. I selected "Remind me later" from the drop down. A few minutes later, the download started, and the drop down only allowed me to select a time period to restart my computer (Now, 1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours)!. I was committed, and I never authorized this! So I selected "Now" just to see what would happen. I went to the Windows Store and lo and behold the update was downloading. The update failed (I got an error 0xC1900101). I disabled the update notification reminder using regedit (I was sick of seeing it every time I powered down my computer anyway)-but how could this happen? This looked like a legitimate Windows notification.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Both KB2973544 and KB2871389 are not listed under the 81 installed updates.
Updates are done through Windows Update automatically. (something to reconsider).
When (exact dates) were KB2973544 and KB2871389 installed according to Installed Updates?
http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/2973544
The same thing happened to me after having to dismiss constant notices, I got only the hours as choices and then it rebooted and updated. I consider the hijacking of my computer and forced upgrade to Windows 8.1 as criminal and completely unacceptable. I see that this will be the future, when your paid software is revoked and removed without consent.
This morning a blue banner appeared on my screen asking me when I wanted to restart my computer to continue to download the update to Win 8.1 (I have Windows 8). At no time did I start the download process. I selected "Remind me later" from the drop down. A few minutes later, the download started, and the drop down only allowed me to select a time period to restart my computer (Now, 1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours)!. I was committed, and I never authorized this! So I selected "Now" just to see what would happen. I went to the Windows Store and lo and behold the update was downloading. The update failed (I got an error 0xC1900101). I disabled the update notification reminder using regedit (I was sick of seeing it every time I powered down my computer anyway)-but how could this happen? This looked like a legitimate Windows notification.
The same thing just happened to me. What the deuce? I have 4 hours to stop it or I will not be happy. fells like Walmart. Its the only choice we get. Poo
If your waiting to get tech or customer service by phone as long as your can understand a strong Middle Eastern accent you wont understand a word that's being said. Apoo and his cousin Sierid confirm we have no American speaking person to transfer the call to but Apoo says yes yes we can fix all you problems but what is this strange custom you have? When we hear a Kaboom we do not cheer we run like the dickens. Where do you keep your sheep anyway?
I am absolutely horrified at this attempt to force me to upgrade to 8.1...
I dunno about being forced to install Win8.1 but - assuming KB2871389 & KB2973544 have been installed - have you read http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2973544?
<QP>
This article describes an update that enables Windows RT to update to Windows RT 8.1 and that enables Window 8 to update to Windows 8.1...If you have Automatic Updates enabled on a computer that is running Windows RT or Windows 8 and that has update KB2871389 installed, [installing KB2073544] can automatically start the update process to...Windows 8.1.
</QP>
Note that Win8.1 must be installed by 12 January 2016 or the computer will not be offered any further updates.