Forced Windows 8.1 Update

Anonymous
2014-09-04T18:30:42+00:00

This morning a blue banner appeared on my screen asking me when I wanted to restart my computer to continue to download the update to Win 8.1 (I have Windows 8).  At no time did I start the download process.  I selected "Remind me later" from the drop down.   A few minutes later, the download started, and the drop down only allowed me to select a time period to restart my computer (Now, 1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours)!.  I was committed, and I never authorized this!  So I selected "Now" just to see what would happen.  I went to the Windows Store and lo and behold the update was downloading.  The update failed (I got an error 0xC1900101).  I disabled the update notification reminder using regedit (I was sick of seeing it every time I powered down my computer anyway)-but how could this happen?  This looked like a legitimate Windows notification.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-11-09T06:30:33+00:00

    With all due respect, this is a Windows Update specific thread with valid update issues.

    With all due respect, this is a Consumer-specific forum. You will find appropriate support in the following Win8 IT Pro-specific forum => https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?forum=w8itproinstall

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-11-08T00:05:45+00:00

    MS need to answer these question...

    ...can we expect to have them all upgrade to Windows 8.1 and have to go around to each and every one and put our Windows 8.1 MAK key in them

    With all due respect, this is a Consumer-specific forum. You will find appropriate support in the following Win8 IT Pro-specific forum => https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?forum=w8itproinstall

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-11-07T18:48:31+00:00

    No, I don't believe that.  MS will have to leave people alone to decide for themselves, such as those remaining with 7, or they lose more customers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-11-07T16:47:52+00:00

    We are apparently having this also happen on our MAK key Volume license computers.  I have reports of at least 6 of our 484 Windows 8.0 Pro computers ( all with volume license keys) have installed Windows 8.1 after a reboot. Then we have to enter the new Windows 8.1 MAK key for them.

    Monday morning when everyone returns from the weekend and turns on their computers can we expect to have them all upgrade to Windows 8.1 and have to go around to each and every one and put our Windows 8.1 MAK key in them, or is Microsoft going to send us help!! We have 3 techs to do all this - AAARG!

    I have checked one of these computers and it does not have the aforementioned updates installed.  We were holding off updating to Windows 8.1 because supposedly Volume License keys requite a DVD to upgrade - EVIDENTLY NOT!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-11-07T08:55:32+00:00

    OMG what are MS playing at forcing the 8.1 update we have teacher no unable to work on there laptops as this forced up break the shell software we had to install to give the staff the start button back and not that so called fix they give on 8.1 a start button they just goes to metro screen we have that on the bloody keyboard. 

    when will MS release there a Corporate world of user that are not on touch screens and on top of this now all these units are asking for the key of the CD that came with you CD with have VLC and EES the key is a KMS and already active on these units so  what the crack with it asking for this key again 

    MS need to answer these question were paying for these big time now will they pay us back for the extra support staff we need to get in and help fix all these issue now 

    :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments