Forced Windows 8.1 Update

Anonymous
2014-09-04T18:30:42+00:00

This morning a blue banner appeared on my screen asking me when I wanted to restart my computer to continue to download the update to Win 8.1 (I have Windows 8).  At no time did I start the download process.  I selected "Remind me later" from the drop down.   A few minutes later, the download started, and the drop down only allowed me to select a time period to restart my computer (Now, 1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours)!.  I was committed, and I never authorized this!  So I selected "Now" just to see what would happen.  I went to the Windows Store and lo and behold the update was downloading.  The update failed (I got an error 0xC1900101).  I disabled the update notification reminder using regedit (I was sick of seeing it every time I powered down my computer anyway)-but how could this happen?  This looked like a legitimate Windows notification.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-01-28T20:13:59+00:00

    PA Bear wrote:

    You must have Win8.1 installed before the free Win10 upgrade will be offered to your computer via Windows Update. [emphasis mine]

    No, you don't.  I never installed 8.1.  Three days ago  I checked something on a Microsoft webpage via a link provided on this forum, which advised me that I had Windows 8 and that I was looking for something pertaining to Windows 10, did I want to upgrade to 10 now.  I'm now running 10.

    But you didn't upgrade to Win10 via Windows Update, did you?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-01-28T07:03:40+00:00

    You must have Win8.1 installed before the free Win10 upgrade will be offered to your computer via Windows Update.

    No, you don't.  I never installed 8.1.  Three days ago  I checked something on a Microsoft webpage via a link provided on this forum, which advised me that I had Windows 8 and that I was looking for something pertaining to Windows 10, did I want to upgrade to 10 now.  I'm now running 10.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-01-22T21:56:53+00:00

    The next update to Windows 8.0 is Windows 10.

    No, the "next update to Windows 8.0" is Windows 8.1.

    You must have Win8.1 installed before the free Win10 upgrade will be offered to your computer via Windows Update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-01-22T16:15:53+00:00

    The next update to Windows 8.0 is Windows 10.

    I just had a fresh install of Windows 8.1 (Volume License) install 255 updates.

    Does Microsoft need to issue a Service Pack for windows 8.1?  YES.

    Will they issue a Service Pack for Windows 8.1? NO, install Windows 10 instead.

    On the topic of forced updates, we just suffered our first instance of a Volume Licensed Windows 8.1 computer installing Windows 10 overnight and there was no way to prevent it from installing - this is not supposed to be possible, but it has happened - very frustrating.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-01-22T00:39:41+00:00

    YES!

    ...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments