Forced Windows 8.1 Update

Anonymous
2014-09-04T18:30:42+00:00

This morning a blue banner appeared on my screen asking me when I wanted to restart my computer to continue to download the update to Win 8.1 (I have Windows 8).  At no time did I start the download process.  I selected "Remind me later" from the drop down.   A few minutes later, the download started, and the drop down only allowed me to select a time period to restart my computer (Now, 1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours)!.  I was committed, and I never authorized this!  So I selected "Now" just to see what would happen.  I went to the Windows Store and lo and behold the update was downloading.  The update failed (I got an error 0xC1900101).  I disabled the update notification reminder using regedit (I was sick of seeing it every time I powered down my computer anyway)-but how could this happen?  This looked like a legitimate Windows notification.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-11-10T13:54:57+00:00

    I had to reply to this thread. I had Win 8.1 and there are still many bugs with it. A lot of programs I had on 8.1 became unresponsive and unusable hence why I went back to 8. Drivers for some on programs for 8.1 are a pain to download and get matched with applications. And now after downgrading I have to upgrade again without my permission? That's just not right at all.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-11-09T06:30:33+00:00

    With all due respect, this is a Windows Update specific thread with valid update issues.

    With all due respect, this is a Consumer-specific forum. You will find appropriate support in the following Win8 IT Pro-specific forum => https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?forum=w8itproinstall

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-11-08T00:05:45+00:00

    MS need to answer these question...

    ...can we expect to have them all upgrade to Windows 8.1 and have to go around to each and every one and put our Windows 8.1 MAK key in them

    With all due respect, this is a Consumer-specific forum. You will find appropriate support in the following Win8 IT Pro-specific forum => https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?forum=w8itproinstall

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-11-07T18:48:31+00:00

    No, I don't believe that.  MS will have to leave people alone to decide for themselves, such as those remaining with 7, or they lose more customers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-11-07T16:47:52+00:00

    We are apparently having this also happen on our MAK key Volume license computers.  I have reports of at least 6 of our 484 Windows 8.0 Pro computers ( all with volume license keys) have installed Windows 8.1 after a reboot. Then we have to enter the new Windows 8.1 MAK key for them.

    Monday morning when everyone returns from the weekend and turns on their computers can we expect to have them all upgrade to Windows 8.1 and have to go around to each and every one and put our Windows 8.1 MAK key in them, or is Microsoft going to send us help!! We have 3 techs to do all this - AAARG!

    I have checked one of these computers and it does not have the aforementioned updates installed.  We were holding off updating to Windows 8.1 because supposedly Volume License keys requite a DVD to upgrade - EVIDENTLY NOT!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments