Restored Computer, Missing Drivers, Cannot Connect to Internet

Anonymous
2013-11-16T18:53:43+00:00

So I bought a desktop computer running Windows XP from a friend of mine.  He wiped it clean before giving it to me and upon logging in I found that I could not connect to the internet.  I'm pretty sure the reasoning for this is that some of the drivers were lost after resetting.  I have tried different programs and methods in order to restore them but nothing has worked.  I would really appreciate some help, thanks a ton.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-17T12:57:35+00:00

    I mean the exclamation mark, sorry.  Also there are no red X's.

    EDIT:  Also still no wireless access.

    OK. but this is just a matter now of installing the drivers for the other components.

    So go back to the EVGA site, choose Motherboard again, same Family and Part Number and then in the dropdown list, choose "Audio".

    Before you run it though, read the installation instructions. You'll find those by clicking the link called "View" in the Notes field as shown by the red arror in the screenshot.

    What I suggest you do here is to copy/paste these either to Notepad or to any other word processor so that you can print them and then refer to that when you perform the installation.

    If you have antivirus installed - probably not since you can't get on the web - disable it before you run the installation to prevent the application from scanning while you install the drivers.

    P.S To copy from a Web page, click once anywhere on the page, hit CTRL+A to highlight everything, right click the highlight and choose "Copy", or press CTRL+C.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-17T13:14:42+00:00

    Ok well I can take care of the audio drivers and things, but my network controller drivers still appear to be missing and I am unable to connect to the internet.

    EDIT:  Also even after updating my Audio drivers, it still appears to have a black exclamation mark next to it

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-17T13:45:02+00:00

    Ok well I can take care of the audio drivers and things, but my network controller drivers still appear to be missing and I am unable to connect to the internet.

    EDIT:  Also even after updating my Audio drivers, it still appears to have a black exclamation mark next to it

    Can you do the following please Sam.

    Go to Device Manager, click the network device with the yellow mark on it to highlight it and then right click and choose Uninstall.

    Next, right click the computer name at the top of the tree and choose "Scan for hardware changes". This will reinstall the device.

    If the Windows Install Wizard runs, click Cancel.

    If the system cannot find the drivers, you should be able to point it to the location where you extracted the files to so have that handy.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-11-17T13:56:16+00:00

    So none of that did anything.  I did as you instructed and nothing changed after it re-installed it.  I tried specifying a path and it couldn't  find the drivers I downloaded before.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-11-17T14:37:34+00:00

    So none of that did anything.  I did as you instructed and nothing changed after it re-installed it.  I tried specifying a path and it couldn't  find the drivers I downloaded before.

    I hope you didn't pay too much for this machine.

    Is the guy you bought it from a good friend? Since he built the PC, he should know how to fix it and it might be worth your while getting in touch with him.

    In any event, if I give a machine to somebody, I make sure it's in working order first. This PC that you have clearly doesn't fit that criteria.

    Did your friend give you the Windows installation CD? If he did, you could run a repair installation which won't delete any files you've created yourself.

    If he didn't give it to you, I'd be inclined to ask him for it if I was you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments