Ok so I have properly installed the drivers and put back in the adapter, but when I run their utility, it tells me that the adapter is not present, even though the lights are on, on it. Also when I look at the Other devices category, Network Controller has been removed but there are no new drivers under Network Adapters.
Restored Computer, Missing Drivers, Cannot Connect to Internet
So I bought a desktop computer running Windows XP from a friend of mine. He wiped it clean before giving it to me and upon logging in I found that I could not connect to the internet. I'm pretty sure the reasoning for this is that some of the drivers were lost after resetting. I have tried different programs and methods in order to restore them but nothing has worked. I would really appreciate some help, thanks a ton.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
48 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2013-11-21T15:30:32+00:00 -
LemP 74,985 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2013-11-21T16:49:50+00:00 I'm sorry that this has turned into such a saga.
About the only things I can think of now are:
- The card wasn't re-seated properly in the slot. Make sure it's pushed down all the way. Or take it out and carefully put it back in, making sure everything is lined up properly.
- The card is defective.
- The PCI slot has a problem. If the second PCI slot (the other white connector) is empty, you can try moving it there.
This wireless adapter should be in one of the two white connectors at the upper left of this figure:
The following is all that the Trendnet installation guide has to say on this issue:
Windows is unable to recognize my hardware. What should I do?
- Make sure your computer meets the minimum requirements as specified in Section 1 of this
quick installation guide. [Your computer does meet these requirements]
- You must complete the installation of the wireless adapter configuration utility (as described in
Section 2) before connecting the Wireless Adapter to your computer.
- Connect the Wireless Adapter to a different PCI slot on your computer.
Also note the following regarding the lights:
Check the installation
The LEDs of the Wireless LAN Adapter are clearly visible and the status of the
network link can be seen instantly:
- Once the device is plugged to the station’s PCI slot, the LED of the Wireless
LAN Adapter will light up indicating a normal status.
- When the device plugged to the station’s PCI slot and the driver was installed,
the ACT will start alternate blinking, it means that the device is starting to scan
the wireless devices near the Wireless LAN Adapter.
- While the Wireless LAN Adapter linked up and transmitting data to the Access
Point or to other Wireless LAN station, the Link LED will lighted green.
If re-seating the card or moving it to the other PCI slot doesn't solve it, I'm afraid you'll have to take the computer to a local repair shop for some hands-on diagnosing. If you do, I suggest not going to a chain store but to an independent shop -- ask your friends with computers for recommendations.
Alternately, you can buy a new wireless adapter. You can get a USB adapter (which won't require you to open the case to install it) or you can buy a new internal adapter. These days, you'll be more likely to find a PCIe card than a PCI card such as the one you have now. Your motherboard has both PCI and PCIe connectors: the PCI slots are white and the PCIe slots are green.
-
Anonymous
2013-11-21T23:51:36+00:00 My friends dad is very knowledgeable about computers, so I may be able to get some help from him, but he is busy most of the time. I have tried switching its slots, I have verified that the lights are on, and its in its slot pretty well so I'm not sure what else it could be either. I really appreciate your persistence and going to a repair shop wouldn't be such a bad thing.