Ya, I figured as much with the time zones, but it so happens that I am still awake at three in the morning. So I have done as you instructed but there are still three items with exclamation marks. I also now have an option under Network Connections for a Local Area Connection, but it has a red X next to it. The items that are still marked are Multimedia Audio Controller, Network Controller, and Video Controller.
Restored Computer, Missing Drivers, Cannot Connect to Internet
So I bought a desktop computer running Windows XP from a friend of mine. He wiped it clean before giving it to me and upon logging in I found that I could not connect to the internet. I'm pretty sure the reasoning for this is that some of the drivers were lost after resetting. I have tried different programs and methods in order to restore them but nothing has worked. I would really appreciate some help, thanks a ton.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
48 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2013-11-17T11:13:02+00:00 -
Anonymous
2013-11-17T09:48:00+00:00 The make is EVGA__ and the model is nForce 7501 SLI. Next to BIOS Version/Date it says Phoenix Technologies and I will note that my friend built it from scratch. Also when I went to Phoenix's website, they had links to other manufacturers websites for driver downloads.
Well, that's a relief! I thought you were going to tell me it was an off the shelf type.
So here's what you need to do to get the machine going.
Go to: http://www.evga.com/support/download/
Change the tab to "Motherboard" and then load the respective menus as you see them in the screenshot.
Then click the "Submit" button which will give you the download link.
Run the file which will install the network driver along with the other motherboard drivers.
Reboot and then go to Device Manager again to check whether any other drivers are required.
By the way, I think we live on different sides of the Pond. You're probably in the US which means time zones come into play and screw things up. It was 1.00AM when I posted my previous message to you and I was dogtired and needed some sleep. That's why it's taken a long time to respond.
-
Anonymous
2013-11-17T00:13:20+00:00 The make is EVGA__ and the model is nForce 7501 SLI. Next to BIOS Version/Date it says Phoenix Technologies and I will note that my friend built it from scratch. Also when I went to Phoenix's website, they had links to other manufacturers websites for driver downloads.
-
Anonymous
2013-11-17T00:03:02+00:00 Ok well I do not have any sort of disks, nor do I have a network card installed. When I tried to install the chipset drivers, from Intel's website, I am told that my computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software. Just to be clear, I have no idea what I am doing so sorry if this is tedious.
EDIT: I should also note that when I was looking for a solution, I found a guide to follow when you are missing buttons under the Network Connections menu. One of the things was to go to Add or Remove Windows Components and check to make sure that Some things were checked under Networking Services there. When I tried to check Simple TCP/IP Services, which seemed to be another issue, it tells me additional files from Windows XP Professional CD-ROM are needed.
Don't go to the Intel site to download chipset drivers. You need to go to the motherboard manufacturer's site for those, or if it's an off-the-shelf machine, go to site which matches the PC name.
You might be able to identify the motherboard by going to Start, Run then copy/paste this command and click OK: msinfo32
Click the link in the left hand pane to "System Summary". In the right hand pane, the name of the motherboard should be designated to the right of "BIOS" although that may not be the case if it's a generic type.
What's the make and model of the PC?
-
Anonymous
2013-11-16T23:17:20+00:00 Ok well I do not have any sort of disks, nor do I have a network card installed. When I tried to install the chipset drivers, from Intel's website, I am told that my computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software. Just to be clear, I have no idea what I am doing so sorry if this is tedious.
EDIT: I should also note that when I was looking for a solution, I found a guide to follow when you are missing buttons under the Network Connections menu. One of the things was to go to Add or Remove Windows Components and check to make sure that Some things were checked under Networking Services there. When I tried to check Simple TCP/IP Services, which seemed to be another issue, it tells me additional files from Windows XP Professional CD-ROM are needed.