Restored Computer, Missing Drivers, Cannot Connect to Internet

Anonymous
2013-11-16T18:53:43+00:00

So I bought a desktop computer running Windows XP from a friend of mine.  He wiped it clean before giving it to me and upon logging in I found that I could not connect to the internet.  I'm pretty sure the reasoning for this is that some of the drivers were lost after resetting.  I have tried different programs and methods in order to restore them but nothing has worked.  I would really appreciate some help, thanks a ton.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-17T13:45:02+00:00

    Ok well I can take care of the audio drivers and things, but my network controller drivers still appear to be missing and I am unable to connect to the internet.

    EDIT:  Also even after updating my Audio drivers, it still appears to have a black exclamation mark next to it

    Can you do the following please Sam.

    Go to Device Manager, click the network device with the yellow mark on it to highlight it and then right click and choose Uninstall.

    Next, right click the computer name at the top of the tree and choose "Scan for hardware changes". This will reinstall the device.

    If the Windows Install Wizard runs, click Cancel.

    If the system cannot find the drivers, you should be able to point it to the location where you extracted the files to so have that handy.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-17T13:14:42+00:00

    Ok well I can take care of the audio drivers and things, but my network controller drivers still appear to be missing and I am unable to connect to the internet.

    EDIT:  Also even after updating my Audio drivers, it still appears to have a black exclamation mark next to it

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-17T12:57:35+00:00

    I mean the exclamation mark, sorry.  Also there are no red X's.

    EDIT:  Also still no wireless access.

    OK. but this is just a matter now of installing the drivers for the other components.

    So go back to the EVGA site, choose Motherboard again, same Family and Part Number and then in the dropdown list, choose "Audio".

    Before you run it though, read the installation instructions. You'll find those by clicking the link called "View" in the Notes field as shown by the red arror in the screenshot.

    What I suggest you do here is to copy/paste these either to Notepad or to any other word processor so that you can print them and then refer to that when you perform the installation.

    If you have antivirus installed - probably not since you can't get on the web - disable it before you run the installation to prevent the application from scanning while you install the drivers.

    P.S To copy from a Web page, click once anywhere on the page, hit CTRL+A to highlight everything, right click the highlight and choose "Copy", or press CTRL+C.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-11-17T12:28:27+00:00

    I mean the exclamation mark, sorry.  Also there are no red X's.

    EDIT:  Also still no wireless access.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-11-17T12:23:35+00:00

    Ya, I figured as much with the time zones, but it so happens that I am still awake at three in the morning.  So I have done as you instructed but there are still three items with exclamation marks.  I also now have an option under Network Connections for a Local Area Connection, but it has a red X next to it.  The items that are still marked are Multimedia Audio Controller, Network Controller, and Video Controller.

    Hi Sam,

    Right click the disabled devices (the ones with a red X) and choose Enable.

    Next, right click the computer name at the top of the tree and choose "Scan for hardware changes".

    When you say the items that are still marked are... do you mean with a red X or with a black exclamation mark in a yellow circle?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments