Ok will do. I am very inclined to just purchase a new copy of windows 7 or 8 though, as I do not prefer windows XP. Also he is actually away at college so not a great chance of me getting the CD. In any case though I really appreciate all the help you have given me.
Even if you do that Sam, you'll still have to download all the drivers from the EVGA site. Win 7 or 8 won't fix that problem unfortunately.
Also, do you intend to buy an OEM copy of Win 7 or 8 or a retail version? The latter is twice the price of the OEM version, but you have to privilige of being able to transfer it to a new PC at a later date.
An OEM version is a one off. If the PC fails in a couple of years time, you cannot use the license on another machine.
Personally, in your position with your lack of technical knowledge (no offence intended), I would either save up and buy a new PC which will have Windows 8 installed, or try and get this one to work with Win XP.
EDIT: You could consider buying a Netbook. It's a small machine, but it'll likely have Win 8 on it and the cost will probably equal that of a copy of Win 7 or 8. You can connect your monitor to a Netbook so that you can work and play with a larger screen too.
Here's some netbook reviews: http://www.pcmag.com/reviews/netbooks