Restored Computer, Missing Drivers, Cannot Connect to Internet

Anonymous
2013-11-16T18:53:43+00:00

So I bought a desktop computer running Windows XP from a friend of mine.  He wiped it clean before giving it to me and upon logging in I found that I could not connect to the internet.  I'm pretty sure the reasoning for this is that some of the drivers were lost after resetting.  I have tried different programs and methods in order to restore them but nothing has worked.  I would really appreciate some help, thanks a ton.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-20T22:46:55+00:00

    I am unable to confirm that that is the correct model, but I downloaded the files and my computer does not know what to run any of them with.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. LemP 74,985 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2013-11-20T21:19:56+00:00

    Based on the information from your System Information applet, the driver for your nVidia Netforce Networking Controller is installed.  This is your LAN (Ethernet) network adapter.

    On the other hand, you haven't yet installed the driver for a different network controller, with the VEN/DEV id of VEN = 1814 and DEV = 0601.  According to this database, that's a wireless b/g/n network controller that uses a Ralink chip.  This device may be a Linksys WMP600N.   If you have a PCI card with antennas sticking out the back of your computer, check to confirm that it is that model, and if so, get the driver here --> http://downloads.linksys.com/downloads/driver/WMP600N_XP_3.2.7_WHQL.zip

    If you don't have that Linksys card, further investigation will be needed.

    Xircal, I'm not sure why you wrote "The Ethernet driver you installed handles communications for wireless networking as well as for wired connections."  There's no such indication in the screenshot you posted that shows what is included in the EVGA "Chipset & Network" download file.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-20T16:18:09+00:00

    So neither of those lights are on but there is however two lit, green lights next to three little cable things. Not sure if that is anything related to this issue. My setup is far away from from my router in my house and there is not cable going up for it. If it would help I could haul everything down to where my router is and plug it in there.

    Well, if you could do that (take the machine downstairs and use a LAN cable to test it), it would at least eliminate the network adapter as the culprit.

    If you can't connect with the LAN cable, then the first step will be to go into the BIOS and check to see in the LAN is enabled or not.

    To access the BIOS, hit the DEL key when the EVGA BIOS logo appears on the screen. Here's a pix of what you'll see when it loads:

    Choose Integrated Peripherals from the menu using the down arrow key to Select it and then hit Enter.

    The Integrated Peripherals menu **looks like this.**In the manual Realtek Lan Device is enabled, so I'd expect it to also be the case when you check. If it is disabled, press the down arrow to select it and then hit Enter. Next, press Page Up or Page Down to change the value to **Enabled.**To save changes, hit F10. To exit without saving changes, hit ESC

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-11-20T14:57:12+00:00

    So neither of those lights are on but there is however two lit, green lights next to three little cable things. Not sure if that is anything related to this issue. My setup is far away from from my router in my house and there is not cable going up for it. If it would help I could haul everything down to where my router is and plug it in there.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-11-20T08:50:29+00:00

    I'm not exactly sure what you mean.  You mean check on my computer if it is disabled?  It's working fine on other computers like the one I'm writing if that's what you mean.

    Hi Sam,

    If wireless works on another machine, then your router is already configured properly and you don't need to go to its setup menu.

    But to reiterate, on the machine which is having the problem, the network adapter is integrated into the motherboard. Here's a pix of it taken from the manual. Figure #5 points to it and details can be seen at the bottom.

    Can you connect with a wired connection? If not, go into the BIOS menu and check to make sure the network adapter hasn't been disabled.

    I downloaded the motherboard menu and it's called Realtek Lan device and it's located in the Integrated Peripherals menu.

    You can download the manual from here: http://www.evga.com/support/manuals/

    If however you can connect to the Internet using a LAN cable, but not wirelessly, then the problem lies with your Windows setup and you need to follow the troubleshooting steps in the link I gave you earlier.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments