Restored Computer, Missing Drivers, Cannot Connect to Internet

Anonymous
2013-11-16T18:53:43+00:00

So I bought a desktop computer running Windows XP from a friend of mine.  He wiped it clean before giving it to me and upon logging in I found that I could not connect to the internet.  I'm pretty sure the reasoning for this is that some of the drivers were lost after resetting.  I have tried different programs and methods in order to restore them but nothing has worked.  I would really appreciate some help, thanks a ton.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-19T00:37:55+00:00

    When I installed them, it gave me a list of three items to install, not all of those.  The three were NVIDIA SMBus Driver,  NVIDIA Ethernet Driver, and NVIDIA Storage Driver.  Nothing that had to do with wireless.  I was also wondering if it could work while plugged into an ethernet cable, because It is now on the list under Network Connections.  

    I was at school today, so that's why I'm getting back to you around 5:00 O'clock, for me, on Monday.

    Also since our times are pretty much flipped it seems, maybe it would be more productive to set up a live chat or something?  No hurry but you may not see my next reply until the middle of the night for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-18T18:53:59+00:00

    So are there any steps that I might take beyond troubleshooting to try and resolve this? Or am I going to just have to try and get my money back? He did give me a great deal with no intention of giving me a non-functional computer so I would love to get it working.

    Going back to square 1 here.

    So you downloaded the motherboard driver version 15.57.

    When you ran the file, which of the drivers in the screenshot did you choose to install?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-18T15:27:02+00:00

    So are there any steps that I might take beyond troubleshooting to try and resolve this? Or am I going to just have to try and get my money back? He did give me a great deal with no intention of giving me a non-functional computer so I would love to get it working.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-11-18T14:20:43+00:00

    None taken.

    The motherboard (if it is EVGA) is not custom built and unless EVGA fabricated their own wireless network components, that part is manufactured by somebody else.

    Hi ElderL,

    You misunderstood me. The PC is custom built i.e. the user bought all the components from different sources and then assembled them himself.

    And your Compaq machine has no bearing on the subject at hand.

    If you want to chip in, by all means do so, but stick to the subject at hand and for that, you need to acquaint yourself with the troubleshooting steps which have already taken place in the previous 21  posts.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-11-18T13:50:53+00:00

    None taken.

    The motherboard (if it is EVGA) is not custom built and unless EVGA fabricated their own wireless network components, that part is manufactured by somebody else.

    On this little Compaq laptop I am resurfacing I have no CDs to reinstall any drivers either but I can see that the wireless adapter VENdor is 8086 and the DEVice is 4220 so that makes it an Intel 54 MBit/s Notebook WLAN Card.

    To get drivers for that, I would not go to Compaq but I would instead go directly to the Intel site and get their latest drivers (which I did) and the wireless is now working perfectly fine and it took less than 10 minutes to get that working.  Not two days and still no wireless (no offence :-)).

    If I can't identify hardware or where to get drivers (or people are not sure what they have), if I can get the info from Device Manager, it is usually easy to find the drivers.

    Besides I generally give up on following topics here when the problem is not successfully resolved after two pages of trying so maybe you will get it figured out (I'll just lurk).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments