SHA2 support on Nokia C5,E71 and E72?

Anonymous
2014-01-09T08:02:11+00:00

Hi

Our company has resently renewed our external certifcate for Exchange active sync. The certificate is SHA2 signed.

From that day Nokia C5,E71 and E72 models stopped syncing.

I belive that it has to do with the SHA2 signing algoritm, and I just want to get that confirmed or confirmation that it isn´t that that causes the communication issues.

Thanks in advance

/J

Windows for home | Other | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

57 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-08-06T15:18:41+00:00

    the default E-mail solution in my phone (E71) stopped working [with Gmail]

    In your case, the certificates do not help. You would need that SIS. Since July 2015, Google and Gmail switched to SHA-2(56) and disconnected millions of devices, although alternatives like ‘ECDSA/SHA-2 + RSA/SHA-1’ do exist. The Nokia E71 is based on Symbian/S60 Feature Pack 1 and does not support SHA-2 or this SIS. I am not aware of any workaround except to

    A) use a proxy based Internet browser, like Opera Mini

    B) update to a newer phone – at least with Symbian/S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 2 or newer, like the Nokia E72 or Nokia E6

    If you use additional E-mail providers which do not work anymore either, please, name them. Then, I double-check whether it is the same cause. If the cause is different, there could be a workaround.

    I have installed Opera Mini on my Nokia E71. I now use it to access my gmail account, which works properly. Thanks a lot for your tip.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-07-31T12:46:45+00:00

    Yes, Yahoo! Mail switched end of June, and Рамблер-Почта switched end of March to a SHA-2-only deployment. However, I recommend to notify those providers about this – many administrators are not aware – perhaps they add SHA-1 access.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-07-31T10:36:19+00:00

    Yes, I have been using only gmail. Yesterday I've tried to set up Yahoo mail and Rambler mail. Both of these services do not work and I think for the same reason. May be there still exists some provider which gives access to mail using SHA-1, but I suppose this is temporarily.

    (I am sorry for possible mistakes in my English)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-07-31T09:56:39+00:00

    Yes, with Gmail, you face this SHA-2 issues. I am not aware of any other solution than going for a new phone, like the Nokia E72 or Nokia E6. Alternatively, you have to access your E-mails via proxy based Internet services like Opera Mini.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-07-31T09:38:12+00:00

    I am using a Nokia E71 to access a Gmail account using the profimail client.  It has stopped working as of a couple of days ago.  I assume it is the problem mentioned about.

    The Nokia software updater says my phone is up to date so I am unsure if there is anything else I can do.  As per the suggestions above - how do I go about up updating my E71 to Symbian/S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 2 or newer, like the Nokia E72 or Nokia E6;?  It is not even clear if the E71 could accept such an update?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments