How to enable Readyboost that is disabled in error

Anonymous
2014-01-01T15:02:17+00:00

My laptop came pre-installed with Windows 8.1 on a 500GB 5400RPM HDD. It has 4GB memory.

Over the holidays someone gave me a 64GB m-SATA SSD, which I put into the laptop's m-SATA slot.

On the BIOS, the info shows that the SSD occupies the SATA 0 slot. I had to re-adjust the boot order to boot normally into my system disk, which is on the SATA 1 slot.

I wanted to use the m-SATA SSD as a Readyboost cache. When I carried out the steps to enable Readyboost on the SSD, it wouldn't let me. The error message is:

This device cannot be used for ReadyBoost.

ReadyBoost is not enabled because this computer is fast enough that ReadyBoost is unlikely to provide additional benefit.

There must be some mistake because the SSD is not the system disk. It only occupies SATA slot 0 (which I cannot change). The system disk is a typical HDD.

How do I go about enabling Readyboost on the SSD? Any tweaks or commands? I have tweaked the registry many times before so if need be I could do that.

[Note: Those who want to suggest other things like sell the SSD, leave it alone, or whatever, please just heckle some other thread.]

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-05-06T22:06:26+00:00

Insert the flash drive or card, then right-click on it in This PC and select properties.  Open the ReadyBoost tab.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-15T12:00:09+00:00

    Insulting those trying to help you will not bring anybody to this thread.

    I cited Microsoft's ReadyBoost article for Windows 7 and ealier. You have the message straight from Windows 8 that when an SSD is fitted, ReadyBoost is ignored.

    Go to here for answers.

    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home

    but don't be surprised if they are no different from what you have already been told.

    BTW, you are not the first to ask this..

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-performance/readyboost-in-windows-8/b4c0e0b6-aa62-4dca-964e-e5893a381163

    This is what TechNet Magazine has to say..

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff356869.aspx

    And this blog contains an FAQ by Matt Ayers, a Microsoft Program Manager

    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/tomarcher/archive/2006/06/02/615199.aspx

    And this was not anybody's opinion. It was and is Windows 8 FACT..

    "This device cannot be used for ReadyBoost.

    ReadyBoost is not enabled because this computer is fast enough that ReadyBoost is unlikely to provide additional benefit."

    This retired IBM techie is signing out.. Good luck

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-16T11:16:19+00:00

    If you want to cite technical articles, cite them properly.

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-performance/readyboost-in-windows-8/b4c0e0b6-aa62-4dca-964e-e5893a381163  In this setup, the primary disk is SSD. No beef there.

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff356869.aspx “Since ReadyBoost will not provide a performance gain when the primary disk is an SSD, Windows 7 disables ReadyBoost when reading from an SSD drive.”  All true. I have two desktops running Readyboost off non-system, internal SATA SSDs. Whether you, retired IBM techie, think that this is a productive thing to do or not (I have seen benefits), it is an open option.

    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/tomarcher/archive/2006/06/02/615199.aspx  Now, you're citing an old article about the Vista version of Readyboost, which talks about how things worked before SSDs really came in to the picture. No mention at all about SSD.

    Seriously, don't bother advising if you want to pass your opinion off as fact and smoke people out with your condescension when someone asks you to substantiate them. Read my first post and free free to sign out, please.

    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/6080a292-6d67-4ed8-b099-24e12c92dc58/readyboost?forum=w7itprohardware  Commenting on using small SSD as a Readyboost cache, Ketan Thakker of Microsoft had this to say:

    [The limit of 32GB] is not customizable and is correctly documented at 32GB for Windows 7. The value was chosen as there was no performance increase seen by using a larger size. While you could partition the SSD into multiple 32GB partitions and create a cache on each of them, we do not expect any additional improvements from doing so.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-03-07T17:02:40+00:00

    I continue to look for an answer to this bug:

    Why?

    You have 4GB RAM - Readyboost will NOT give you any improvement in performance. At ALL.

    Do you have any evidence to support that? Readyboost is useful whenever disk IO is limiting, and if you have a mechanical drive then IO is limiting, regardless of how much RAM you have.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-03-07T19:13:01+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments