Insert the flash drive or card, then right-click on it in This PC and select properties. Open the ReadyBoost tab.
How to enable Readyboost that is disabled in error
My laptop came pre-installed with Windows 8.1 on a 500GB 5400RPM HDD. It has 4GB memory.
Over the holidays someone gave me a 64GB m-SATA SSD, which I put into the laptop's m-SATA slot.
On the BIOS, the info shows that the SSD occupies the SATA 0 slot. I had to re-adjust the boot order to boot normally into my system disk, which is on the SATA 1 slot.
I wanted to use the m-SATA SSD as a Readyboost cache. When I carried out the steps to enable Readyboost on the SSD, it wouldn't let me. The error message is:
This device cannot be used for ReadyBoost.
ReadyBoost is not enabled because this computer is fast enough that ReadyBoost is unlikely to provide additional benefit.
There must be some mistake because the SSD is not the system disk. It only occupies SATA slot 0 (which I cannot change). The system disk is a typical HDD.
How do I go about enabling Readyboost on the SSD? Any tweaks or commands? I have tweaked the registry many times before so if need be I could do that.
[Note: Those who want to suggest other things like sell the SSD, leave it alone, or whatever, please just heckle some other thread.]
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
42 additional answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2014-01-14T07:17:37+00:00 Replying to Gordon would be pointless.
But I would like to reply to Mike Hall MVP. Do you have a tech note or actual information that Readyboost is designed to shut off if any SSD is installed internally? Because the tech notes I have referred to only say this happens when the SSD is the system disk.
In fact, I have two Windows 7 desktop systems running Readyboost off small internal SSD (system disk is HDD). Both are connected on SATA, in their usual order.
"mSATA drives are marketed as cache boosters". Where exactly did you get this piece of information? Is this the case for all mSATA drives? How is this relevant to getting Readyboost to work?
"Note that ReadyBoost is not active when booting and can't speed up boot times. It only improves cache access when the system is up and running and Windows or the application in use needs cache access." What is the basis of this saying? Tech note? Sysinternals? Experiments?
-
Deleted
This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.
Comments have been turned off. Learn more
-
Anonymous
2014-01-14T11:13:27+00:00 Why are you comparing what old Windows 7 does against what new Windows 8 does?
Applies to Windows 7.. (not Windows 8)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/readyboost
Do you have a tech note or actual information that Readyboost is designed to shut off ifany SSD is installed internally? Because the tech notes I have referred to only say this happens when the SSD is the system disk.
Yes, I do and so do you..
"This device cannot be used for ReadyBoost.
ReadyBoost is not enabled because this computer is fast enough that ReadyBoost is unlikely to provide additional benefit."
Windows 8 is more intelligent than Windows 7, and if there are enough resources installed, RAM, drive types and speeds etc, it does NOT offer ReadyBoost.
In fact, I have two Windows 7 desktop systems running Readyboost off small internal SSD (system disk is HDD). Both are connected on SATA, in their usual order.
What a waste of two perfectly good SSD drives. The failing is in Windows 7, not Windows 8. Windows 7 will set almost anything up for ReadyBoost.. I have multiple flash drives, all of which Windows 7 sees as candidates for ReadyBoost.. I have a Lenovo laptop running 8gb RAM and a fast HDD and still Windows 7 is willing to set up a mediocre USB drive for ReadyBoost, a complete waste of a USB port and a USB flashdrive.
"mSATA drives are marketed as cache boosters". Where exactly did you get this piece of information? Is this the case for all mSATA drives? How is this relevant to getting Readyboost to work?
Supercache..
http://www.mydigitalssd.com/msata-ssd.php
"Note that ReadyBoost is not active when booting and can't speed up boot times. It only improves cache access when the system is up and running and Windows or the application in use needs cache access." What is the basis of this saying? Tech note? Sysinternals? Experiments?
ReadyBoost is a Windows function. Until you have logged into Windows, the ONLY drive from which the system takes instruction is the BOOT drive. Windows does not give a hoot as to what is on any other drive. and does not, cannot use cache memory to boot..
Why ReadyBoost is not really required..
http://www.howtogeek.com/123780/htg-explains-is-readyboost-worth-using/
Seriously, you need to lose your fixation with a function which was originally designed to help poorly specified computers cope with Vista.
I have given you good advice on how best to utilize your mSATA drive which would get you better performance than ever ReadyBoost could offer. You can choose to ignore it and continue believing thinking that Windows 8 has a bug if that is what you want.
-
Anonymous
2014-01-15T07:11:11+00:00 Did you even bother to cite a tech note or read the tech notes that I have cited?
Thanks for your opinions anyway.
Anyone who wants to take a shot at a workaround or a debug please step up to the plate.