How to enable Readyboost that is disabled in error

Anonymous
2014-01-01T15:02:17+00:00

My laptop came pre-installed with Windows 8.1 on a 500GB 5400RPM HDD. It has 4GB memory.

Over the holidays someone gave me a 64GB m-SATA SSD, which I put into the laptop's m-SATA slot.

On the BIOS, the info shows that the SSD occupies the SATA 0 slot. I had to re-adjust the boot order to boot normally into my system disk, which is on the SATA 1 slot.

I wanted to use the m-SATA SSD as a Readyboost cache. When I carried out the steps to enable Readyboost on the SSD, it wouldn't let me. The error message is:

This device cannot be used for ReadyBoost.

ReadyBoost is not enabled because this computer is fast enough that ReadyBoost is unlikely to provide additional benefit.

There must be some mistake because the SSD is not the system disk. It only occupies SATA slot 0 (which I cannot change). The system disk is a typical HDD.

How do I go about enabling Readyboost on the SSD? Any tweaks or commands? I have tweaked the registry many times before so if need be I could do that.

[Note: Those who want to suggest other things like sell the SSD, leave it alone, or whatever, please just heckle some other thread.]

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-05-06T22:06:26+00:00

Insert the flash drive or card, then right-click on it in This PC and select properties.  Open the ReadyBoost tab.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-13T11:49:42+00:00

    To those who continue to clog this thread with YOU DON'T NEED IT, YOU'RE WASTING YOUR TIME kind of replies, despite my polite request to stay off in the First Thread:

    I have other machines with Windows 7, running 4GB, and running Readyboost off a small, non-system SSD attached in an internal SATA port. I find that it helps with booting times and it feels faster.

    Anyway, in this laptop, running Windows 8.1, the option to use Readyboost should be available. But it seems that Readyboost is detecting the non-system disk SSD connected on SATA Slot 0 as SYSTEM DISK and therefore not even making the ReadyBoost option available.

    Gordon B-P and Mike Hall MVP, if you want to help me get Readyboost to work or work around the bug, I appreciate it. If you want to clog this thread with non-help and irrelevant observations, despite the fact that the issue is very clearly stated in the first post, please just stay away.

    Was this answer helpful?

    70+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-11T12:53:37+00:00

    The bug is with the machine insisting that an external drive connects to the primary SATA adapter..

    That apart, a 4gb system does NOT require ReadyBoost..

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/readyboost

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-01-11T09:22:55+00:00

    I continue to look for an answer to this bug:

    Why?

    You have 4GB RAM - Readyboost will NOT give you any improvement in performance. At ALL.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-01-11T08:43:05+00:00

    I continue to look for an answer to this bug:

    Readyboost disabled when SSD occupies SATA slot 0 but not system disk.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments